going linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks i am planning to dual boot but could i have some advice. i have 1x 30GB drive which has my winXP on it and thats my master

i also have a 250GB drive in 2 partions which is for storage, this drive will have a 3rd partiotin which i wil luse for ubuntu. this drive is my slave. how would i go about dual booting. can i just leave my BIOS to boot from the master still and instlal ubuntu on the 3rd partition?

EDIT: well thats really ****ed on my bonfire was all preparing for linux and i jsut checked ati's site and my GFX card he ATI RADEON X1950PRO has no linux drivers but the X1900 does :( so looks liek i have to wait

but if some one could still answer my question would be nice :D

The General said:
EXE, C:\, DLL, registry ... all Windows-only stuff that you will not see in Linux.
BSODs, viruses, spyware... :D ;)

Originally posted by snypercore
i jsut checked ati's site and my GFX card he ATI RADEON X1950PRO has no linux drivers but the X1900 does :( so looks liek i have to wait
That driver supports the X1900 series, not just the X1900. It actually supports the 8500 and up
The ATI Proprietary Linux driver currently supports Radeon 8500 and later AGP or PCI Express graphics products, as well as FireGL 8700 and later products.

nice thahnks so about he dual boot? i have the ubuntu disk ready to go just looking for drivers and wanting to know about the dual boot

my guess would be to go into bios and jsut switch to the slave drive.... to boot off it.. but if its slave will it boot off of it? idk yeah bios may be an easy way.... but did you try the live cd.. and with the live cd... it will be sloww... but once you dl ubuntu its quick
i have ubuntu on a laptop.. very very nice.. i think you will like it....

If you install Ubuntu onto a slave drive it will prompt you to install GRUB on the Master drive.

Just be sure not to format over the Ubuntu install without telling GRUB about it or it will go looking for it, not find it, have a heart attack, and then not let you boot to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom