Gnome & Kde

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Oldie but a goodie
Is it possible to have two environments on one computer, like say if I have one hard drive configured w/ Ubuntu and Gnome (as I do now) and then add another with a KDE environment ?

I am not sure if I am being clear, but basically I would like to know if I keep my Ubuntu with Gnome drive in the master position, then add a slave hard drive to the slave position, and then format and load another version of Linux with the KDE environment.

Also, would I have to configure this in the bios, or would Linux take care of the master/ slave thing. I have so much to learn about Linux, I could be scouring the internet constantly, but I just haven't run across this kind of situation personally. Very much appreciated.

Sure, there are plenty of ways to do it. You could even throw them on the same drive, or even the same linux install and then swap between the 2.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see your qusetion at the bottom too. No, GNOME and KDE are environments for the desktop after xwindows loads. It's like a big package of different items/daemons/programs/etc thrown together. They are just different packages. A little more than that... but that is the base of the differences. Your BIOS is totally oblivious to this.

Great ! Sounds like it should go well when I try it. I was wondering about the Gnome / KDE thing because I realize that some distros are Gnome-oriented and others KDE-oriented. Thanks, Mikesgroovin :D

Yea, it's a distribution thing, honestly. Did you have Ubuntu installed? Because you could install KDE over Ubuntu (kbuntu) in a terminal session. Then, at the login prompt you can choose which one you would log into (GNOME or KDE) each time you are ready to login.

It's a user preference too. I'm used to GNOME over KDE but really don't care which I use. Actually, thats a lie...

If I HAD to choose one, I'd probably go with GNOME.

It's dead simple to install KDE on a normal GNOME Ubuntu install...

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Or just search/install kubuntu-desktop in Synaptic. Then log out, click Sessions, pick KDE, and log back in. Welcome to KDE! You'll be amazed at the fancy eye candy that KDE4 has to offer then you'll get tired of the slowness and go back to GNOME :)

Ahhh I see. Regarding the terminal commands, I can just open the Terminal and then just type that command line ? Or do you mean when I was installing Ubuntu originally. I just like to know all these little tricks. I am a true geek :p

no, the command he referenced can be used any ol' time you want... from a terminal session.
You can do it in the morning
You can do it in the evening
You can do it while riding the tram
You can do it while eating green eggs and ham

Sam I am

no, the command he referenced can be used any ol' time you want... from a terminal session.
You can do it in the morning
You can do it in the evening
You can do it while riding the tram
You can do it while eating green eggs and ham

Sam I am

:laughing: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom