GNOME Desktop in Mandriva 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbillybob

In Runtime
On another thread General stated that GNOME was a good desktop. I decided to try it out, and was in customizing the windows look and feel, when the screen went blank and kicked me out to the Graphical Login. From that point on it will not let me use GNOME. The splash screen will pop up, the screen goes dark, and it kicks me out to the login. I haven't seen an error message at all, and KDE still works.

My OS is Mandriva 2007 w/ kernel 2.6.17. i haven't seen smack on their forums...thought I would try us here.

My skills: I would consider myself an advance basic user in Linux. I know what root is, I can stomp around the konsole a bit, but I am no guru.

Has anyone seen this problem before, Im assuming it has something to do with my x11. I tried restarting xserv, but nothing seemed to work.

thanks!!!

I see no reason why the configuration of X would need to be different for Gnome. Are you sure you installed all the dependancys? I don't know much about Mandriva's package manager.

I would say that the dependencies are ok because it did come up successfully. Mandriva's Package Manager is RPM

I was changing the look and feel. Window decorations, behaivor, etc. I can't remember exactly what I clicked on when it happened. Is there a way to access GNOME in a safe mode, or maybe a way to roll it back?

So when you start the computer and boot to Mandriva, does it fail to start the X server or does it go to the regular login screen (graphical) and when you login, thats when you see the gnome splash screen and then X crashes? If so, just choose KDE from the login screen and try to fix gnome that way. You may be missing something like metacity or GTK2.x so try and and check the dependancies.

You can't start gnome in safemode, safemode in Linux is the command line. :p

so I need to check out my packages and make sure I have all that Mandriva recommend for GNOME? Do this through the RPM manager?

:freak: I tried updating all of the gnome libraries. Still nothing. Im gonna do some more research, and I will post if I find anything

hillbilly, I had a similar problem but I run SUSE 10.1. I just had this similar problem this week happen to me. I have KDE and Gnome, but when I try to log into Gnome with my user account it kicks me back to the login prompt! However if I try to login to KDE it tells me the error message. "Write fail to /home/user/.ICEauthority" Something to that extend. So I figure out the problem, .ICEauthority belong to the user root and group root, so I just login as my root account, cd to /home/user/ and change that .ICEauthority file permission to the original owner which is suppose to be my user account and not root. All is well now.

So I suggest checking out your home directory for any file permission that might not belong to you. ls -al is the command. Login as root. Use the shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom