Getting Ubuntu Linux to detect windows partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo

Baseband Member
Hey, guys. I just made the leap in to Linux. I'm having trouble accessing the other hard drive on my system. This undetectable drive housed a previous Windows OS and ceased functioning when the FAT file:mad: became unreadable. Is there any way that I can recover the data on that drive, or will I have to format it in order to use it at all?
Feedback is deeply appreciated. And, yes, I will make backups from now on.

Hey guys. Have any of you ever used TestDisk? It sounds like a winner, so I'm going to use it. Trouble is, I've tried multiple releases of it and I can't get ./configure going after I've extracted the tarball. Can anyone share a similar experience with me?

Oh,, btw, I installed gparted and it found the partition, but it doesn't look like it's going to help me pull files off it. Am I wrong about that?

Ah...*grin* I have finally discovered
mnt -t dev/hdc1 mnt/vfat. It was so simple.......

That's sad, really. Windows couldn't mount a drive that it formatted itself and Linux managed it in two seconds. I'm never using windows again.

Buh-by windows.

K, that's it. I backed up my important files and formatted the drive to ext3. There was a little fuss over read/write permissions, but
"chmod 777 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/ext3" ironed that out.

*NOTE* For others viewing this post, you may not want to include the "777" part of that command. Read the help file for chmod and see if another configuration suits you better. 777 Gives all users read and write privileges. This is not a problem for me, as I am the only user other than root, which is also me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom