getting started in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnev_89

Daemon Poster
hey all, this is my 1st post on this board.

what's the easiest way to get started with linux. i know almost nothing about it, except that it's an opensource os. what's the best version to download? how do i download it so i that i can choose whether to boot from windows or linux? i read that linux was free, so why do you have to pay to get a copy of the program? i'm kinda confused with the whole free thing. i'm not a programmer, do i need to be to operate linux?

thanks!!

thanks. i think i'll try out suse 9.1 personal 1st. when i install it will it ask me if i want to dual-boot (i do!!)?

also, does it come with all the programs i need? like the equivalent of office, internet explorer, etc...

thanks

never mind about that i checked. it comes with the equivolent of office, ie, some games, and basically everything i need to get started.

still need to know about the dual-boot issue, though.

I find red hat to be the easiest switch between windows and linux. You may want to look into it if you get frustrated with suse

while installing you have the option of a bootloader. the bootloader will automatically detect all OS's and after installation you'll reboot and have the GRUB or LILO bootloader giving you the options.

you can use personal just fine, but a lot of libraries and apps needed to install 3rd party apps or to compile or change some things about the system might require things only included in the Pro version. after you install the Personal version, you can upgrade to Pro through an ftp install. check at www.suse.org for more info.

The biggest differences tween the linux distros is how they handle installing software and the dependency of libraries for that software.redhat uses the rpm system, not sure what suse uses.I use slackware, its been around for a very long time and doesnt really have a dependency checking system.Its uses a package system, software is available for download that is ready to install, and if its missing something it will be pointed out when you run the program.The needed libraries are listed in the notes or docs for each program, it works quite well and its simple.

They also differ in how they are setup when you initially setup your system, some like mandrake and redhat are pretty automated like windows, usually detecting your hardware and setting things up for you.The downside to that is if something goes wrong you will have to fix it yourself which is where most newbies get lost and frustrated.

Ive found that simplicity usually is the way to go and you might as well learn what makes linux tick if your gonna use it, same goes for windows really.The older distros that have been around awhile typically have more software available ready to go and have the best support base, debian and slackware are at the top there.

getting many different opinions on which version to get. which would be the easiest to switch to from windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom