Getting started with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH, you meant it like that... I thought it was some computer jargon i didn't know about :p

Anyway, I want to download it, but I'm a bit confused on navigating through the FTP..

Anyway, could anybody specifically link me to where I should download what I want. I want to burn it to a DVD-R, I can use either bit torrent or just this browser.

Also, I'm not sure of this, but I don't know if my nero allows me to burn IMGs to DVD's... if that's true, can I do anything? And if not, I'll just get a cd from my friend :p

Do you have a good internet connection? If so, you may want to just use the minimal boot CD. It will install a base system, then call for the packages off of the internet as you need them. Overall, this will save you time and resources. Although currently I don't know which link to point you to, as I don't know if you want to use the current stable release, sarge, or the testing/unstable release, etch. Sarge is initially the safer way to go, the disadvantage being it's aged a bit and the packages in the repository are dated.

BTW, I'm not sure about nero, I haven't used it much. Although, you could always use ImgBurn.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Just go here and scroll down to the net install, then just click on the image for your architecture. Also, I feel kind of bad having you go off and do things based off of just MY opinion, maybe others here will have other thoughts/ideas. :confused:

So then which architecture do I use...? Would me telling you my hardware help you at all?

I'm sorry for asking all of these questions, I feel like a total newb... I want to do good in this class though, so I want to learn Linux and use Linux a lot on my own... :p

And it's alright, you seem like you know what you're talking about :p

Then I believe ia64 will do the trick for you. Also, typing linux26 before you hit enter to boot off of the CD will most likely help you, as it's an updated version of the kernel.

I may be disproved on this, as I haven't dealt with the 64 bit architecture. :confused:

IA64 is NOT the correct build. Go with i386

(Just as a side note, IA64 is for the Itanium and some of the Xeons that don't use the "standard" AMD64 or x86 architecture. If you have a Core Duo/Pentium D 64 bit or Athlon 64, you'll want the AMD64 build.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom