Getting started with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathawk

Daemon Poster
Hey, I'm going to try and start using Linux... I'm completely new to it, have no clue how any of it works, but at least I'm trying XD...(Well I haven't tried yet..) I want to learn it for a class I'm taking in school, and we are going to be working with Knoppix I think(or something like that.)... I was thinking of using Ubuntu though.. what do you suggest, what's the difference... etc.

My tranistion will hopefully go smoothly... it seems like the transition from Windows to Linux is a hard one, at least at first..

Anyway, for starters, what distro should I use..?

(THE GENERAL POST HERE QUICK!!!)

Okay, I don't have any CD-Rs or anything, so can I boot from DVD-R with Debian? And what makes Debian better than Ubuntu, or anything else :|

And remember, I am a total newb at Linux, no knowledge other than general computer knowledge... and from what I hear, Ubuntu or Kubuntu or something are pretty easy to use.

Ubuntu's hardware detection on several computer setups, is questionable. You have no form of customization of the packages in the initial install. It is also has a relatively slow/poor package management when trying to install things using the package manager after the initial install.

Debian has a very powerful package management system, 'apt'. It is very relatively fast, and has great package dependency management. It also can be built from the ground up, with great support for customization.

APT

Also, you should be able to boot with the dvd-r, with the only disadvantage of it being overkill. :p

djg320 said:
Debian has a very powerful package management system, 'apt'. It is very relatively fast, and has great package dependency management. It also can be built from the ground up, with great support for customization.
Ubuntu uses APT as well

EDIT: Bah, beat me to it

I'm sorry, I don't know what overkill is :(
I'm going to be using a laptop, no problem with this... it only has a 5.5 gb HD, but if it really matters I'll just delete some stuff on this comp (ISOs, games I don't use..) and make like a 20gb partition on the HD.

Maybe I'll just stick with this computer for now..

The General said:
Ubuntu and Debian both use apt...

Very sorry, wasn't thinking. :p

By saying it was overkill, I meant the dvd-r is much bigger than you'll need, although it'll still serve the same purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom