Get nVidia drivers working in Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so...how do I use the themes? I googled it, but it just said I had to have Emerald as my default window decorator...how do I set it as such?

Edit: This was another theme I was trying to install, but it's in a gzip archive

Beryl-project.org

How would I go about installing it? Everytime I try to do like "Extract here..." I get an error that it's not a supproted file time...same if I try to open it in the Archive Manager. Any help there?

I know I may be being a pain, lol, sorry. Thanks a lot tho guys, you've helped =).

Try this:

Code:
For some reason, themes don't apply for some people until they restart Emerald and/or Compiz. If you can't see your new theme even after restarting, then maybe the Emerald Theme Manager is failing to set the theme at all. You can force the theme to be set by performing these commands in a console:

cd ~/.emerald
rm -rf theme
cp -R themes/NAME_OF_THE_THEME_YOU_WANT/ theme
Then restarting Emerald.

I did the first 3 lines then restarted and it works just fine. Enjoy.

Ok, I'll try that in a sec Mak (not in Ubuntu right now). Will check back with you once I find out if it works =).

You can use fusion-icon to make it easier to select your window manager and start the theme and settings managers and junk. It's nice.

It's still a very early version of the program so there's no available debian package that I could find that was current. To install from source, use this string of commands:
Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core checkinstall; cd ~/Desktop; git anongit.compiz-fusion.org/users/crdlb/fusion-icon; sudo checkinstall
In checkinstall write what you want for the description, change the version to a number, then hit enter and let it do its thing. If it doesn't give you any errors then clean up the folder with all the junk in it:
Code:
cd ~/Desktop; sudo rm -fr fusion-icon
alt+f2 and run fusion-icon. It should show up on the gnome-panel. Add that to your startup programs (system > preferences > sessions)

Ok, so...how do I use the themes? I googled it, but it just said I had to have Emerald as my default window decorator...how do I set it as such?

How would I go about installing it? Everytime I try to do like "Extract here..." I get an error that it's not a supproted file time...same if I try to open it in the Archive Manager. Any help there?

I know I may be being a pain, lol, sorry. Thanks a lot tho guys, you've helped =).

You need to install Emerald first. Open Synaptic, search for "emerald", and install it. Also install Compiz-gnome (which is a GUI for configuring Compiz Fusion). Then, turn desktop effects off and back on (using right-click->change desktop background->effects tab). Emerald should automatically enable itself, but if it doesn't, use the custom button (a Custom... button appears if you install compiz-gnome). Then enable Window Decoration.

And if it's a .rar, .7z, etc, you'll need to install the archiver package for that file type. Search in Synaptic for "rar", "7zip", etc to find packages to install these archive types. Then they will open in the archive manager.

To configure Emerald, go to System -> Preferences -> Emerald Window Manager (or something like that, the icon is a green emerald). From there, you'll have a button to Import a theme (in .emerald format). If the theme you downloaded isn't in .emerald, extract it (if it's an archive) and there's probably a .emerald file inside it.

Ok well all I had to do to get the theme working was to just restart Ubuntu >.<...

The error I was referring to was this, BTW, Calcprogrammer:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/17/screenshotps7.png

Any idea what could be causing that? Besides a possible corrupt archive?

Edit: Nvm, figured it out...guess all it was is that for some reason ".emerald" wasn't put after it when I saved it... got it working now >.<

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it =).

Glad to help out CarnageX. I am still learning things about Ubuntu and it is nice to help out another newcomer to Linux. :D

Heh, yeah it is. Although I'm sure I'm going to be needing a lot more help than you would xD. Ubuntu is quite nice, though. Just gotta get used to it. I still mainly use XP because all of my stuff is on here that I use (mainly games/Photoshop). Although its quite a lot more customizable than Windows, it seems (just from within itsself with no extra programs even).

Well you have GIMP already isntalled. Taht is the freeware version of Photoshop.

Applications>Graphics<GIMP

If you need some tuts on how to sue GIMP there are 2 good sites to use.

http://www.pixel2life.com/search/all/GIMP Tutorials/1/
Good-Tutorials / Photoshop Tutorials + Flash Tutorials

I know Pixel2Life has some good ones. It seems that Good Tutorials has switched their setup and lsot support for GIMP. I will look more into that.

As far as the games go. Yeah Dual boot will be the only way to fix that. Some games can work thru Wine but even i have a hard time with that right now.

Yeah, I've used GIMP before. I used it on my old machine for a while before I got PhotoShop, so I know the basics of it.

I'm actually triple booting...lol. XP, Vista, and Ubuntu. XP is on its own drive, though, and Vista/Ubuntu are on another drive.

A thing with Wine.. I tried to get Soldat running (says its compatible with Linux + wine), but it says "Starting Soldat" in the try with the Wine icon, and then just diappears =\. Also tried to install Azureus, but it closes out as soon as I get to the language selection setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom