Get nVidia drivers working in Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok, I installed Vista/Ubuntu dual boot on a second HDD I have (I'm on my primary HDD right now, that has XP). Everything works fine. But I wanted to have the "enhanced effects" I believe is what its called, and that requires me to load the driver for my 8800GTS 320mb. Well everytime I try to load it, it fails to load even after I restart. Is there any way I can get my drivers to load on Ubuntu? Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Have you tried loaded the restricted drivers? Is that where you are having the trouble?

Also have you read thru the Gutsy Wiki?

Ubuntu:Gutsy -

Nope, I haven't tried loading restricted drivers..that may be the case then.

Can't say that I've read that either xD.

Also, what is Beryl and Compiz? I've seen references to them before, but not exactly sure what they are. Are they like graphics-enhancements/graphics environments? Do I need them to load the nVidia drivers?

Thanks for the help, Mak.

Here you can find a demonstration of what compiz can do and here a demonstration of what beryl can do. If you like vista's Aero you will love compiz fusion and beryl.

You'll have to install de Nvidia drivers to run them. Use the guide that Makaveli213 posted, it explains how to install the most popular programs.

To install the drivers for your graphics card, open up a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

You'll have to enter your password. Then restart X. You can do this by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Backspace. After you log back in, the drivers should be working...to test, do

glxgears

in terminal. You should see a window with some 3d gears. If it runs smoothly, you probably got it installed right, if they lag or run slowly, your graphics driver isn't set up properly.

Then, right click, go to Change Desktop Background, then click the Effects tab and try setting it to "Extra". This enables Compiz, a program that uses OpenGL based 3d hardware effects for your window manager. Moving windows will make them stretch like rubber, minimizing them will make them fly downwards, and you can even add more complex effects by installing the Compiz Fusion package in Synaptic (just open Synaptic and search for Compiz).

Beryl is an old window manager that did 3d effects. Compiz was also an old window manager that did 3d effects. The two merged, and formed Compiz Fusion, which is what Ubuntu uses for it's effects.

^ Unless they changed something, you also have to change the 'nv' driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to 'nvidia'

Yeah, usually it will be "mesa" or something like that though, just a basic indirect driver, change to "nvidia" if it's not already set.

Alternatively, you can use the Restricted Driver Manager which will automatically install the nvidia-glx package and set up xorg.conf for you.

Sorry, already got it working xD. Was trying to mess with some other stuff in Ubuntu last night.

Ok, I have another question... I'm trying to install this theme:
 Darkly Glassed GNOME-Look.org

How am I supposed to install it? I saw a comment that says I need Beryl Manager, and I couldn't find it in the Package Manger or the Add/Remove Programs list. So I go to the beryl project site and try to manually install it, but when I attempt to make the makefile, I get this error in the terminal:

configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Any help? Thanks.

You don't need Beryl or any weird make configure junk to install emerald themes. Go into Synaptic and install the package "emerald" (it also has dependencies that will automatically be installed). Then you'll have an Emerald Theme Manager in your System -> Preferences menu. In that, there will be an Import button, which you can use to import the .emerald file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom