Gentoo Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried gentoo and I am not impressed. It takes so long to compile and you don't get much of a speed increase as the bootleneck is in the hdd usually. Gentoo also applied special patches to each program.

I am now using slackware (just got x up now) and I am loving the speed (without compiling! [execpt for custom kernel]).

indeed, the best things that can be done to make linux better involve the kernel and driver modules

one of the tricks of the movie and video editing linux users is to change the buffer sizes for the sound card and sometimes tweak a few others as well

after that matching your /proc settings for memory management to your RAM and HD speed/loads on system can help a bit

for the most part linux is pretty decent in most areas as is, but it still has lots of hacks in it to make it work, which is normal in any OS........sometimes you have to sacrifice something to get things to work

As an end user just choosing the right app for the job at hand makes the most difference. Eye candy and fancy GUI's dont get the job done any better than the commandline and they cost speed and resources. Choosing what you need and matching it to your hardware or load is key. Plenty of choices of apps these days, many of which are quite good, some are world classs apps without equals--->mplayer fits in that category.

Ive done tests tween windows and linux, and even recompiled linux sourcecode to run on windows, and speed wise there's rarely much of a difference. Where linux shines is under heavy loads and managing lots of intensive processes, this kind of thing brings windows to its knees, linux just slows a bit and keeps on chugging along.

I've been using Gentoo for about a year now. My main reason for sticking with it is probably Portage. I like it better than any other package management software I've used, even with the compiling times. Doesn't mean it's good for everyone though. The installation is a pain (days worth of compiling to get your system to a usable state), especially for a newer user. On the other hand, if you DO have that time, searching and being forced to fix all the problems that are almost guaranteed to come up somewhere in the installation process can teach a lot about how Linux works in general (and how to troubleshoot it)...before it's even really working.

Anyhow, an appropriate bash.org quote (recipe for disaster):
<@insomnia> it only takes three commands to install Gentoo
<@insomnia> cfdisk /dev/hda && mkfs.xfs /dev/hda1 && mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/ && chroot /mnt/gentoo/ && env-update && . /etc/profile && emerge sync && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootsrap.sh && emerge system && emerge vim && vi /etc/fstab && emerge gentoo-dev-sources && cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig && make install modules_install && emerge gnome mozilla-firefox openoffice && emerge grub && cp /boot/grub/grub.conf.sample /boot/grub/grub.conf && vi /boot/grub/grub.conf && grub && init 6
<@insomnia> that's the first one
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom