GeForce 4 MX 4000 Driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i'm looking at this now, and nothing was entered about this...so i gotta ask, you are doing this as the " root " account, correct?

Yes, I was under the root account. I can even get it to install completely now. It's just that when the drver loads, the computer freezes up.

I wouldn't think that nvidia would drop support of that card in Linux, as Linux tends to be run with older computers. You might try reinstalling the Core over again.

I tried it under the older core that came on the Fedora Core 4 installer DVD too. Same result. Weird huh?

Very, I wonder if there is a conflict with the drivers you are using. You could always try the nvidia forums or a Fedora Core forum.

Yeah, I've been checking the net really heavy, but so far no one has had my exact problem. Maybe I just need a new video card?

try a different distribution. fedora core isnt all that great. i'd rather use windows.

okay its not THAT bad, but try debian, or ubuntu, then you'll be able to just do this to install the drivers.
apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-common
m-a prepare
m-a auto-install nvidia
apt-get install nvidia-glx
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-x[org or free86]

disable anything having to do with DRI and make sure that glx is enabled, and glcore enabled. then it should work.

edit: and if you want to overclock your video card, you can apt-get nvclock

i think its nvclock ... someone correct me if im wrong. i'd apt-cache search but im at work on my powerbook.

oh and apt-get nvidia-settings if you want to adjust anti aliasing and all that jazz

Oh, and if this should fail, what could I do to get it to work again winthout having to reinstall once again. I mean, can I disable it, if it fails? And if so, how?

if it doesnt work, then just run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (or xfree86, depending on if you install sarge or sid) and set the video driver to "vesa" and it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom