geez ubuntu 7.10 buggy or what

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
What a pain in the ***, I get everything running just fine in 7.04 then I upgrade to 7.10 and loads of stuff breaks! all so I can have wobbly windows :-/

Any how, I think I've gotten around the xgl problem - anyone want to volunteer a solution for xdmcp? I cannot connect to 7.10 I get this error:

xdmcp fatal error: Session declined maximum number of open sessions reached.

Heres the full xwin log:

Code:
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See [url]http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html[/url] for more information
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000809" (00000809) 
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (United Kingdom)" (809), type "4"
(--) 3 mouse buttons found
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
XDMCP fatal error: Session declined Maximum number of open sessions reached

winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

Edit: It seems the problem is with gdm so i've replaced it with kdm - now having problems with the settings.. *sigh*

Getting wobbly windows should have been as easy as installing your driver via the Restricted Drivers Manager, then going to System > Preferences > Appearance. Click on the Visual Effects tab and select Extra settings.

To get the customized effects:
Code:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

This would have installed the CompizConfig Settings Manager. It can be accessed by going to System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings. This allows you to adjust all the settings for Compiz Fusion.

To fix your problem on hand. cd to /etc/X11 and do an ls to list all the of files in that directory. See if there is a backup of the xorg.conf file. If so
Code:
sudo mv <xorg.conf backup name> xorg.conf

This will replace the current xorg.conf with a backup which might have been created before the problem started.

Thanks for the suggestion Disillusion but I think i've already done this, the xorg.conf file was blank so I replaced it with the content of the xorg.conf.1 file which I assumed was a backup. I also checked the settings in the file afterwards and everything seemed ok.
I've also checked the settings in the Xaccess file and ensured that anyone can get a screen.

The problem changed when I changed from gdm to kdm, the error now says something like Manager rejected request or something to that effect. I'm sure its something to do with the settings on the gutsy machine so i'm looking though those.
One thing though, before I switched to kdm there was a login management tool on the menu which is now gone, I assume that was the gui for all these settings files, Is there some way I can get that back?

btw there is an official bug logged with xdmcp in gutsy Here but I believe it affects only gdm and concerns dialing out of the gutsy machine rather than dialing in (there is a workaround apparently for dialing in, but that didn't seem to work for me).

It should be really easy to set up 7.10 on an nVidia computer. Assuming you start from scratch, do a fresh install of 7.10 from the CD. Then, it will ask you to install the proprietary (restricted) nVidia drivers, or you can do it manually by installing nvidia-glx from either apt-get or Synaptic. Then just change your xorg.conf from vesa (or mesa I forget) to nvidia. Compiz works out-of-the-box on nVidia computers, so just right click, Change Desktop Background, Effects tab, and turn on effects. For fancier effects, go into Synaptic and install the Compiz Fusion extras and the Compiz control panel for GNOME.

This worked fine for my GeForce4 computer, and almost the same to install on my Radeon X1600Pro, but at the time I installed it, fglrx didn't have AIGLX, so I had to install Xgl as well, but that's "sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl" and restarting X, not hard.

The problem is with xdmcp, I already solved the xgl problem. Cheers anyway.

Havent had a chance to take another look at my linux machine yet, got another computer to build this afternoon but i'll get round to it and update on my progress.

P.S. I could do a fesh install... but wheres the fun in that? I want to understand linux, thats why I have it installed at all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom