Gaming on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a new one to me, i'll say one thing though if like me your into retro games and don't mind waiting a while to play the classics like Duke Nukem 3D and Fallout 1/2 and many many more you can find copy's of 95 and 98 on ebay for £5 and will run in a virtual environment just fine.

Windows is not a monopoly. The game companies have every right to develop for what ever platform they choose. They choose to mainly go with Windows. That is not on Microsoft. There are several games that are cross platform. You choose which games to buy and play. You are choosing the ones that are only for Windows. I fail to see how this has anything to do with a monopoly. All i see is people who are bitter cause Microsoft took advantage and made something that everyone uses but doesnt want to pay for.

Yeah, I do choose which games I play... Majority are windows games though. I'm using the term monopoly in a broad context here, the fact that Microsoft have an overwhelming market share that makes it really hard to not use that Operating System.

The choice between Windows and other alternative is kinda forced though because there is no real choice. Not if you want everything to run perfect (well, as close to perfect as anything does on windows).

Thank you all for your help. The choice was kinda obvious from the start. I've gotta find $100 in the budget for an OS. Namely, windows.

Yeah, I do choose which games I play... Majority are windows games though. I'm using the term monopoly in a broad context here, the fact that Microsoft have an overwhelming market share that makes it really hard to not use that Operating System.

The choice between Windows and other alternative is kinda forced though because there is no real choice. Not if you want everything to run perfect (well, as close to perfect as anything does on windows).

Thank you all for your help. The choice was kinda obvious from the start. I've gotta find $100 in the budget for an OS. Namely, windows.

Yeah - it can be kind of hard to squeeze out the green for the Windows OS when all you'll use it for is gaming. That's why I try to justify it in my head "Well, if I was a console gamer, I would need a console."

You never know, maybe sometime we'll see a change. After all... Microsoft doesn't have an infinite life span. ;)

There is Wine, however Wine works very rarely with games, if you could swallow your pride and buy a Windows OS (Not promoting piracy), you could use VirtualBox, which I find very useful, I keep my Windows 7 OS open on one side of my Compiz-Fusion desktop cub and just slide over when I need a game, haha.

There's also a pretty user friendly version of Wine called PlayOnLinux

Home - PlayOnLinux - Run your Windows applications on Linux easily!

Playonlinux is pretty cool I might add!, However there's so many bugs when playing freeware games like Combat arms and such, haven't explored it too much, but the best way I found on gaming on Linux, is just downloading the VirtualBoxOSE and using a Virtual Windows console for gaming, and if you're video card/processors good enough, you can do as I do and keep a desktop cube with your game open and then just switch between other applications on your Linux system, rather than having to use the Alt+Tab option in Windows, which often crashes games. Hope I was some help!

Jayce, great signature!
and virtualbox is what I use, and I run games like Combat Arms, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Gmod 11, etc.
and the performance is great, even with my ATI Radeon 2400 HD Pro, haha.

There are some pretty decent native linux games. Check out playdeb.net for an okay list of them. Alot not on there, but its a good place to start.

There are some pretty decent native linux games. Check out playdeb.net for an okay list of them. Alot not on there, but its a good place to start.

I know. That's why I said native linux. In my opinion, trying to run windows games on linux is like trying to play soccer with a football. You might can make it work, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Yes, people want to play COD, not Tux's adventure.

There are lists online of which games work in wine and that do not. Linux is a playing field. Any ball can move if you kick it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom