Gaming on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Tenk-

Baseband Member
I tried the search function and I can't believe I couldn't find anything on this... If there is a thread (or many like I expected there to be :D), can someone post a link?

Is it possible to run windows games on Linux without buying a Windows OS?

Looking at building a new computer and in order to help keep costs down, using an open source alternative.

Or, would one have to either dual boot and still get a License for Windows or run a virtual drive or something?

Yeah... I did realize that.

Question is, how much is windows worth in that regard? **** I hate monopolies.

The Wine project, is it fairly progressive? Do they offer regular updates that fix new-release games as well as older games that they didn't cover when they first came out?

WineHQ is ever growing. As is everything software. Wine is just like an emulator. New patches are built all the time to accept more apps.

Windows is not a monopoly. The game companies have every right to develop for what ever platform they choose. They choose to mainly go with Windows. That is not on Microsoft. There are several games that are cross platform. You choose which games to buy and play. You are choosing the ones that are only for Windows. I fail to see how this has anything to do with a monopoly. All i see is people who are bitter cause Microsoft took advantage and made something that everyone uses but doesnt want to pay for.

Windows is not a monopoly. The game companies have every right to develop for what ever platform they choose. They choose to mainly go with Windows. That is not on Microsoft. There are several games that are cross platform. You choose which games to buy and play. You are choosing the ones that are only for Windows. I fail to see how this has anything to do with a monopoly. All i see is people who are bitter cause Microsoft took advantage and made something that everyone uses but doesnt want to pay for.

Yea, prity much anything from ID for example I play DooM and DooM 2 still on linux I just copy the wad files from my installer and it works just fine with the open engine as dose DooM 3.

While it's not Microsoft's fault, it's still a bummer to "have" to have Windows to game unless you go the Wine route. I look at it like this...

To play XBox games, you need an XBox.
To play PS3 games, you need a PS3.
To play PC games, you need Windows.

I can still see Tenk's point of view though. If I do anything on a computer, I want to use some sort of open software if at all possible. It's just the thought of supporting an open community instead of... Microsoft... It'd be nice if it were that way for gaming too but it's not necessarily the way things are right now. Maybe Wine solves that issue, but since I have W7 I just use it for gaming. I boot to Windows. I play games. When I'm done, I reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom