fun with airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
There is a very good reason why I don't update OSX. Apple has a bad habit of breaking things. This time it was my Airport drivers. Now, for a laptop who's main reason for existence relies around note taking and web surfing at coffee shops this simply wont do.

So I install Ubuntu 8.10, Intrepid I think. Anyways, the Airport express card (broadcom BCM43xx) was recognized, configured and installed out of the box. Gasp! That's a Linux first for me. Anyways the good feelings soon wore off when I realized the wireless card had a stunted range and kept disconnecting form the router. As I am typing this I am directly one floro above the router. My desktop has a Belkin G card as a backup (Atheros I think) and I have all bars. The powerbook drops the connection every 10 seconds. After every drop it brings the window for the WEP key up. So I'm not sure if this is a range issue, a key rejection issue, or both. Looking at the network manager i start with all bars at bootup and then slowly over the next few minutes loose all of them.

So wtf? Is there a setting somewhere that can alleviate this? Are there some better drivers perhaps? I'm not going back to OSX, Apple had it's chance and screwed me over. I would hate to toss this laptop as the hardware has served me well so far. It seems that it is cursed to run buggy and unstable software though.

Matt is this the BCM4310? I have one in my mini note and it's been a pain to get working in PCBSD and it has a stunted range as yet I have had little success finding a solution to the range problem but I have noticed that using the windows XP driver with NDISwrapper from varying manufacturers can have different results - why can't people use atheros cards more.

No I use the 4306. If you know of a good windows driver for that It may be worth trying out. I don't know how well x86 .inf files will work on a Power PC release of Linux though.

I don't think it will work now that you mention it forgot you have a power PC chip. Let me do a little digging for a decent driver an i will get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom