FreeNAS - Optimal Setup Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm trying to understand a few things with FreeNAS here. Let's say I have these folders:

bob
fred
john

I want all of the folders to be 770 permissions, with root:*user* as the owner. That way each folder is independent from the other and no sharing can be done.

Do I need to create a dataset per user folder? I can't seem to have individualized permissions on folders that are outside of a dataset. Example - if I set all folders in a dataset, I can set the dataset itself to 770 perms, but the folders inside do not receive the individual root:*user* ownership that I want.

That said, for my type of security I want, do I need a dataset per user/user folder or am I going about this wrong?

The developers I spoke to in the IRC room suggested that I use one dataset per folder that needs special permissions, so I just created 1 user per dataset and left it at that.

To avoid setting up another FreeNAS thread, I figured I'd ask a new question in this thread here. Has anybody been running a RAID array of some sort with FreeNAS and ended up having a drive fail? I'm curious how well that worked out for you. I have 3 drives in a mirror array right now and I unplugged the SATA cable from one of the drives to simulate a disk failure. My system ended up locking up as a result of it having poor hot-swap SATA cable support, so I did the same setup but this time with unplugging the power cable.

In the FreeNAS web gui, it still registers my array as online and no degradation. I'm going to let the box on for quite a while in case it just has a "check in" time with the drives to see their status, but right now it's still showing as online. I'm just wanting to make sure if I have an ACTUAL disk failure that it'll notify me in the web gui.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom