FreeNAS

My friend was thinking about setting up a NAS at his house as well and was looking into FreeNAS, but switched to Webmin because of it's nice GUI features.

A few years ago I used FreeNAS. It sounded like there was a lot of tension in the community then. There was something about the project being split, almost in half... where a company bought most of the division and was pushing support and stripping certain features whereas another version was community driven and working in their own direction. It sounded like quite the mess, and I need more out of a server than simply file sharing and the torrent client, so I installed Ubuntu Server on my server and haven't looked back. That said, my server has no GUI, but it does everything I need. If you opt to go Linux you could always use the regular desktop version, as the big difference really is the GUI. I ran Ubuntu desktop edition as my server for about 5 years until recently where I went headless.

I'm not trying to deter you from using FreeNAS, as I understand it's still an awesome project, but the unstable community aspect at the time I looked at it coupled with the fact I needed more than what FreeNAS could do kind of diverted me back over to a Linux solution.

Webmin is good, but Webmin is also not "officially supported" by Ubuntu. That said, we have a server at work with Ubuntu and Webmin because, well, it still kind of works just fine. You could also look into Zentyal, which is a rather worthy competitor (last I checked) to what Webmin is capable of. In fact I think they have their own OS install if you don't want to dump it on an existing Linux OS. But my knowledge there is limited too... just throwing it on the table since options are a good thing. ;)

My server is nothing but a file server which is why I'm opting for software like FreeNAS. If I wanted to stick with an actual GUI OS I would continue using Windows 7 as there isn't any learning curve involved with using something I'm already proficient in. Simple webgui interface that I can control from anything like my tab or phone and file sharing properties is what I'm after. Not to mention, I can do port bonding with it and such.

Back
Top Bottom