FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I've looked at this many times, and I was like, meh, every time.

Now that I'm more in tune to Ubuntu, I'd say, why not?

I'm looking to put it on my home server, get rid of Windows 7, on there.

Does anyone use or seen it being used and like it?

In your own opinions, pluses, minuses?

I've used it, it works well. The only reason you'd use it though is if the hardware it's running on is a little limited. Otherwise, just bang a full installation of Ubuntu on there.

Well, I am running the server on an Intel ITX Board, Atom 320, 1GB, 2 x 640GB HDD.

It would be cool, running off a pen drive. Any Linux distro would do, really. Just don't need a 10GB OS on a server. Guess I could just strip Ubuntu down.

DSL? yeah, I used it lightly in the past.

The only problem is, that I can't see Ubuntu on my Network, from Windows. I have a lot of videos that I often stream off of the server. Ubuntu can see my Windows computers, just Windows can't see Ubuntu. I thought FreeNAS would fix this, because I saw in video tutorials that it is visible to Windows/OSX.

Wanna give me a better pointer? I don't see that in there.

Edit: NFS, you mean?

Edit2: did nothing, do i need to restart to take effects?

edit: whoops, I am TOTALLY insane. Disregard previous statement :p

On your Linux machine you need to enable SMB sharing. THAT'S what I meant lol

I have SMB on there. Ubuntu can see my entire network and access it. It has to be a sharing issue.

I can remotely connect from Windows into Ubuntu through VNC.

Yeah Ubuntu can see your entire network, but Windows can't see your ubuntu shares. Thought that was the problem? Or is the problem that you can see the shares but get 'access denied' errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom