Folder lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyro187

Baseband Member
Is there program where I can type a list of folder into it or a config and once that is done anything in the folder can go down into the tree structure but not any higher?

sure, change ownership of top directory and make it different than the user that will be using the directory below:
example:
root owns /home/test
user owns /home/test/*-------user cant go higher than /home/test........make sure read,write,and exec for /home/test is turned off for the user in question

use chown to do that
use chmod to change the rwx(read write exec) privileges if you want even more control

Ok that is the way I had it configured which keeps my main files safe. Here is the main issue. When I let someone host at www.site.com/username they can use php to go into someone else folder www.site.com/username2. I chown all subdirs so they can't go up but they can still go laterally. I give them all accounts because then my server would have to many individual accounts on it. Any Idea?

I think individual accounts is the only way to go, but im not a php expert by any stretch.

thats what i was afraid of. Is there a good way to make virtual users with local file permissions? The problem with local users is that if I get a high number of users it will be hard to distibute load.

dont know to be honest

I do know this, web servers using php often have to deal with huge loads, hence most have lots of RAM and multiple CPU's. I would think a relatively speedy desktop PC could handle quite bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom