Firewall Recomendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amd64Boy

In Runtime
What distro has the best firewall, or at least a really good one. This isnt for a server so i dont care about samba,ftp,Apache etc. ports to be open or protected. Thanks

which distro is the wrong question and way of looking at it, all linux versions are "firewall" capable....its a stock part of any distro

iptables is whats used to change and configure the packet filtering rules of the kernel

if you want a front end to that, try firestarter

forget whatever youve learned in windows, it doesnt apply here

i don't know if this is right or not but i think i've heard of people putting a Linux box inbetween their modem and router/switch to act as a firewall. Is that possible to do?

yes, linux is easily set up as a router and/or "firewall"

I really dislike the term "firewall", its not what people think it is..........thanks to windows bullsheot, windows networking tcp/ip stack is weak, always has been, it doesnt have many options nor can it handle much traffic........one of the disadvantages of a single user system

One of my machines has 2 ethernet cards, one is connected to my broadband connection, other NIC goes to a hub/switch, and it acts as a router and a "firewall" so all my machines can share the net connection and work together on my LAN

When you say acts as a router and firewall, are you running a certain program for these functions?

sure, flip the ip_forward switch to on by setting it to a "1"
make sure the dns/masquerade kernel modules are loaded

use iptables to set the ruleset you want, basically an all open setup means just telling the kernel to use dns masqueraiding on anything coming from inside your LAN

poof, its done

I put this stuff in /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it happens last in the boot sequence

iptables is a command line program for setting the packet filtering ruleset, like I mentioned above, if you want a front end for that use something like firestarter, just keep in mind, its just a front end, it uses iptables too. The linux kernel does tha actual work with its routing table and packet filtering features.

http://www.tldp.org -------look up firewall how-to or iptables how-to

which machine LOL? I have several. If your wondering what you need to do this, an old 386 with 16mb of RAM would work, it doesnt take much.

My machines range from a pentium 200 up to sempron 2800, RAM ranges from 64mb up to 512mb. My gateway or router box is an old duron 800 with 384mb of RAM, it also is a fileserver and ripping box for ripping movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom