firefox 1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdoc

In Runtime
Hi, I've extracted the files as directed by the site but I dunno what to do with the folder after extraction. Where does it go?

macdude425 said:
If you downloaded the source, good luck. You have to compile it.

If you downloaded the "installer", then open a terminal and run ./<installer filename>

Well I went to firefox.com and found only 1 big link the one in green and I dled that it's in .gz format. Is this the source? or the installer version? I think it's the installer because I did the ./firefox command and an installer came up. I ran installation but when I deleted the extracted folder, firefox went back to the older version but if I keep the folder, then it would run v1.5... So.... What does this mean?

it installed into the folder you extracted it into, when you deleted the symlink by deleting the folder you killed it

horndude said:
it installed into the folder you extracted it into, when you deleted the symlink by deleting the folder you killed it

but I had 0.7 installed... what happened to that? why doesn' it just patch up 0.7 and make it 1.5 instead of linking it to the folder I extracted?

depends on where .7 was installed, if it was in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin or some directory other than $HOME then no

1.5 installs into whatever directory you unzip it into, which is typically $HOME

all the installer script does is unpack the binaries inside the directory and set some defaults/check for dependencies created when you unzip the firefox.tar.gz file.....it doesnt install it to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin for system wide use

why? Id wipe out the previous version if its in $HOME, then just install the new one, if you leave the .mozilla or .firefox file intact you wont lose your bookmarks and preferences

this is exactly like unzipping a file onto your desktop in windows, clicking on the new directory, then clicking an .exe file..............its the exact same deal

firefox for linux unless you build it yourself is a PRECOMPILED binary, all that it needs to run is unzipped, then run its installer which all that does is check for dependencies and unpack itself, thats it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom