file accessing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohand

In Runtime
I am very new to linux, using rehat 9 and don't know why some of the files denie me from access to it, like the root file and lost and found, while i try to double click on it, it displays this message:"You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "root"." I've try to login too root in system settings>root password , or some other files that pops a panel that require root password to sign in as root(don't know is that right) and a key icon appear at the right bottom, it well soon disappear can't keep it still neither by press "keep authorization" nor "forget authorization". but no matter which way i tried, i have no permission to access to the root file or other permission denied files, though, i can access to it by to into this files through cd writer. how can I access to all this files and, without the repeating of typing in the password?

log in as root or su into root from a terminal or console and you can access anything.Linux is a multiuser system and without being root you cant access system files.This protects the operating system from user stupidity.Its normal, and part of linux.Unless your making changes to the system configuration you never need to have root access.

what command i should type in, and where can I find this support? and one more question, i installed a rpm and don't know where can i found it, the usr/bin directory? and it's really large, don't know which name should i look for, i am lost.

You need to learn the linux command line commands which are like dos only more of them with way more options.

examlpe ls lists a directory
cd <directory> changes directories

from a terminal try man rpm and read the docs

also goto redhats site and start looking for tutorials for beginners

rpm is redhats software installation tool

usually when you install something it ends up in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, once there the OS automatically knows to run the program when you type in its short name from a command line(terminal)-->blank screen with a prompt.Or if its something linked into the GUI-->gnome or KDE it will execute from the menu.

slocate -u will create a database so you can find stuff

run that, then type slocate "whatever you are looking for" and it will show up

gnome and KDE both have utilities to find stuff

there's also wildcards allowed when using filenames= " * "

example ls *.txt will list all files in a directory that end in txt

youve got some command learning to do, its not difficult, just be patient, do some reading and play with it a bit.

typing man "any command name" will spit out a doc page with options and format for any command. Like suppose you want to know what cd does, type man cd and it will list the options for the cd command which is change directory.On some systems just typing help or a ? will spit out the command options or available commands

yea, everything horndude said but some more notes:

typing su in a terminal to get superuser (and not root) access, doesn't mean that outside that terminal you have access to everything. only from within the terminal.

you can also do su root to get root access.

remember also not to experiment around while you have superuser or root access, because unlike windows, one little mistake can happen without notice and next thing you know, Linux is booting up and you don't know what you messed with, so you have to reinstall. more flexibility means more responsibility and care.

have fun with linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom