Fedora Makes PS3 More Than a Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the use of installing Linux on the PS3? :s

Non what so ever, if you read mine an maks posts.

Chris, I think solid state media is the way all data devices are going to go eventually I don't know when but I think it's safe to say sooner rather than later. I even think a film was just released on a USB memory stick but it might just be my imagination playing tricks on me. The moment you see a exclusive film release on a SSD it's prity much all over for optical media.

You know seeing as I now have a PS3 I am thinking that I reely should put this to the test, and once an for all get some benchmarks posted, comapring fedora to fedora on pc and on a ps3 side by side any one else like to see that?

My first questions would be...

Why for the love of *NIX would you have a PS3?

It's a complicated story, I walked into PCworld today to see if i could pick up a cheep office sized all in one printer an there AV department is right next to the business sales department the clerk saw me eyeing up the TV. So after about 20 seconds of convincing I ended up buying the TV and they give me a PS3 and a free game I think they are trying to get rid of slow to move stock to be honest I don't think they sold many in the first place but hey atleast i got myself a free game too (Fallout 3) and one **** of a nice TV. The old 36in is about to become my monitor :p

Alright you do Fedora and I'll do openSuSE and we'll compare them to our PC's and the OS's to each other. Post up a thread and then let me know so I can put a post up right after yours to show my benching.

The PS3 doesnt have the latest GPU. It is quite old now. IT doesnt compared to the 9 series or even the 200 series of nVida let alone the 3xxx or 4xxx series of ATi. The CPU while high end still have a lot os limitations. Meaning that things are not optimized to run on it or they jsut cant.

the gpu of teh ps3 is actually based of the 6800 ultra very very old indeed, the ps3 to build a compareable pc would cost about 500$, just check out toms hard ware's 500$ build itl game every game but crysis @ max settigns maybe the exeption of farcry2 aswell.

Sorry to bump this but I am installing Yellow dog Linux 6.0 on my PS3 tonight, I will see what bench marks I can get and see what mischief I can get upto.

^ Why did you pick YellowDog? Any decision changing reason or just felt like going for it?

I'll install SuSE and we can compare the results. I was waiting for you to respond to my post here earlier mate. Guess you never saw it.

Your right mate I didn't see it, sorry we will compare results.

I chose YDL as it has the best support for the PS3 from what I am aware and sony has officially supported it from day 1.

No problemo. I figured that's why. I was reading about putting Fedora on it and I heard it can be quite the hassle.

Just let me know when you have your results and I'll do the same then. PM me a list or something of the programs you're going to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom