Fedora Makes PS3 More Than a Toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS3 doesnt have the latest GPU. It is quite old now. IT doesnt compared to the 9 series or even the 200 series of nVida let alone the 3xxx or 4xxx series of ATi. The CPU while high end still have a lot os limitations. Meaning that things are not optimized to run on it or they jsut cant.

It's a matter of personal preference? I mean, the PS3 comes bundled with the latest high-end processor and graphics card specifically for games. Considering that with your high definition blu-ray player(which is slow, i'll admit) and you have maybe a 1000+ machine running linux for 600 dollars.

It's all personal preference, all a matter of who you are referring to and the fact that this is a tech forums might tell you why. It's fun, we can and the thing has space for it.

Yeah, I understand it's personal preference. I wasn't trying to be smart about it, I just wasn't sure what the purpose was. I mean, can you actually run Fedora Core 9 on it as if it's a computer? Is that what it can do?

I thought people were just installing it because "they can" when even when it's installed, it serves no functionality. If it acts like a real computer when installed, okay, I gotcha then. I thought it was just something "to do for fun" when it really packed a null point.

I think the main reason for doing linux on a console is just for the shear hehe look what i can do. Honestly there is no real reason to I have to bject with object the PS3 is a terrible piece of hardware an as mak said when it's all said an done the PS3 is designed to be a console first an anything else second the graphics are old atleast 2 generations old (an have in my opnion a large amount of suck built in) The processor it's self might be high end but it's still a console processor it will not run anything that isnt ported over two it's archiexture an if you find something thats able to run on it you can be sure that it's not going to run right if you just find the .rpm files on the net.

So to recap unless you have a real urge to play with linux on a PS3 leave well alone an leave your PS3 gathering dust doing stirling work as a paper weight.

lol, it was optimized and so new when it came out though! man, I hate console gaming, not in the fact that i hate the consoles, it's just, in the time frame of it's release, you'll see three or four different versions. In computer years, we've already swapped out several graphics cards and hard drives.

I'll keep looking into what's so great about the ps3. I mean, you could argue it's blu-ray capabilities till kingdom come, but, for the most part it's library isn't very complete and some of the things i've seen on it hardly look worth while playing.

man..I can't even come up with a defense after saxon and mak hit me with those post. sorry ps3. (I'd make a horrible attorney)

Object I wasn't slamming you for it I am sure some people out there LOVE the ps3 an would have a child with one if it was legal but it's a sub par console so why would you turn it into a retarded turnip of a computer? Seriously blueray is not available in the open source relm at the moment in Europe an the USA due to ****ing DRM (this might be changing soon with a EU mandate if i recall correctly).

What most people don't realise is Yea one of the many beauties of Linux is that you can run it on just about anything but just because you can dosent mean you should, I can name 3 common deivces round the home that could very well be running linux an you wouldnt even know an thats good because they where designed to do it! but when you need a computer you shouldnt look to a console to provide the soloution unless you want a long time bug swatting, fixing compatability issues and dealing with a lack of long term support.

Object it wasnt a slam at you. The way your post ws made you made it seem like you were saying that the PS3 was better than what we have out there now. Which isnt the case. Yeah at Release it was the best. But almost 2 years later. It isnt the top dog anymore. Woof Woof. :p

lol, it was optimized and so new when it came out though! man, I hate console gaming, not in the fact that i hate the consoles, it's just, in the time frame of it's release, you'll see three or four different versions. In computer years, we've already swapped out several graphics cards and hard drives.

I'll keep looking into what's so great about the ps3. I mean, you could argue it's blu-ray capabilities till kingdom come, but, for the most part it's library isn't very complete and some of the things i've seen on it hardly look worth while playing.

man..I can't even come up with a defense after saxon and mak hit me with those post. sorry ps3. (I'd make a horrible attorney)

Consoles can be fun, especially if you have a friend over or something. But if I'm gaming alone, 99 percent of the time I prefer PC. Bluray is not worth buying a PS3 for in my opinion though.

I think Bluray is too ahead of the times for it's own good. I was watching Batman Begins and Harry Potter on a high end HDTV, and in Blu-ray in a Best Buy. It looked so good that it was bad. The definition was so good that you could so easily tell what was CGI and what wasn't, and every effect just looked really cheap and crappy, though normally they would look good. Anyone else ever notice this?

Consoles can be fun, especially if you have a friend over or something. But if I'm gaming alone, 99 percent of the time I prefer PC. Bluray is not worth buying a PS3 for in my opinion though.

I think Bluray is too ahead of the times for it's own good. I was watching Batman Begins and Harry Potter on a high end HDTV, and in Blu-ray in a Best Buy. It looked so good that it was bad. The definition was so good that you could so easily tell what was CGI and what wasn't, and every effect just looked really cheap and crappy, though normally they would look good. Anyone else ever notice this?

I agree, I also realize Mak and Sax, you're not zeroing in on me, and I hope I wasn't making the PS3 out larger then life. I mean, you've seen the console wars before. They boast the best in the line of gaming on a console. But yeah, I'm no fan boy of the systems, and I see both of you made very valid arguements.

Well Ethan, you have to realize that only a few movies have been filmed in the high definition standard, or the highest of resolutions. Which is why films like batman the dark knight(which was filmed in imax) and collateral/Miami Vice we're filmed in high definition(I think, don't quote me). So, yeah these little lesser films, they go through and transfer the raw information to the larger disk and high definition boxes, for instance, up converters, address the amount of lines on the screen and insert more as the screen refreshes.

So not every single movie is going to look astounding, alot of them looked choppy and like crap, once movie producers start recording in the high definition format, I think the CGI will be able to catch up.

Bluray isn't ahead of it's time it wont have a time at all, I can seriously consider saying that bluray is the last of the optical media improvements we will ever see. Solid state media is becoming cheaper an much easier to produce in large affordable quantities.

Bluray only won out because it shiped with the PS3 this time last year when the format wars round 2 where coming to a close I can recall most people complaining about the ammount of decent titles released on bluray and the cost, it's sill over priced an not worth it for the player and media.

To keep this thread on topic I will say this - The PS3 is a toy you can run linux on it you can run linux on nearly everything but you can not and will not get a good and valuable experiance from it. I have seen many people cry foul when they have tried this as they are firghted that linux will mess there box up so they wack it onto the console insted and wonder why they cant get most apps to run well or right.

So Chris are you saying that the next gen systems will all be reverting back to cartridges :p?

I would say there is a small possibility but they still say they are much more expensive.

My reason for putting Linux on is so I have a few extra things that I can do on my plasma. That's basically it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom