Fedora 6 Released....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't necessary for me to upgrade from 5 to 6, I just did to see what the differences were. In truth, there aren't a whole lot, besides a few new icons and some additional pre-packaged software. I also saw a slight boost in startup speed.

Nevertheless, I do enjoy these opinions. I've only been using Linux for a little over a year now and in no way am an expert user. I really don't plan on finding one single distribution and settling down with it. I'd like to try as many as I can to see what's out there. Since you've been using Linux longer than I have (and have wayy more posts than I do) I'm pretty sure you're right about the Fedora issues, so I'll keep your comments in mind.

I actually have a version of Slackware burned on some discs here but never got around to trying it out. Would you recommend givin it a whirl?

I started downloading FC6 two hours before the start of this thread. Only at 46% currently (DVD ISO).

well for what its worth, given the choice, I'd choose tween one of two distro's at this point, debian or slackware

main reasons are they are very stable, well taken care of, big user bases, and have loads of software available in precompiled form if one wishes to go that route

personally, Im a slackware person, havent always been but after using some others I have a really hard time not like Patrick Volkerding's work, he does a very solid and methodical job and slackware comes with more software ready to go than just about any of them, and its all stable well tested versions that fit together and work together as much can be expected, linux has its issues just like any OS

slackware has had the same guy running the show since day one, its the only long term linux distro that can even come close to making that claim, and it shows in the way its laid out and the way it works------very clear website, very simple and straight to the point way of doing things, very little fluff or hype, it just works

years ago I used to try out different things just for the sake of trying out different things, anymore Ive got work to do so I want stable rock solid predictable performance with as few problems as possible, that narrows down things quite a bit these days

Slackware does not in any way attempt to be "windows like", its set up based on the "keep it simple stupid" principle, sure you can have all the eye candy you want, you just have to install it, isnt hard to type installpkg <packagename> while root, and no, much of the configuration isnt done via a GUI, so what, it freakin works and its easy to understand, very little automated apps to aid install and config to go wrong. Thats a classic ubuntu problem, the automated apps come across some hardware it isnt setup to deal with and it chokes leaving the user frustrated and clueless.

linux like anything is a trade off, try em all, maybe you will find one you like, and if not, you can always make your own, even my slackware systems arent 100% slackware, we all have our little quirks and things we like to do, thats the beauty of linux, you can do what you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom