Fedora 12 on my new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynehead

Baseband Member
I have very much enjoyed running fedora as a secondary OS on my laptop. I had it installed on an external harddrive and whenever I wanted to run fedora I would boot accordingly. I liked fedora so much that i had planned on running it as my main OS in my new desktop. Problem is I cant get it to install. I have the following components.
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H Motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 955BE CPU
OCZ Platnium 1600 2x2GB RAM
LITEON DVDRW Drive
Toshiba hard drive that I have actually had fedora 12 installed on before.
And I am currently using onboard graphics until the GPU I want is available on Newegg

Are some of my components possibly presenting a problem. I have Ubuntu 9.04 64bit running on it right now dual booted with xp service pack 3 for games. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would it help if i tried a 64bit version of fedora?

well I have a Live cd, and it loads the first fedora symbol then black screen. My monitor doesnt go into standby but nothing is visible. I havent been able to find a download for 64 bit version. Can someone help, maybe I will just try to install and forget the live cd I have.

Ive also got my CPU, RAM, and internal GPU overclocked. Wouldnt think that would cause any issues but I am still fairly new to Linux and this is the first time I have installed on a self built machine. I am not too upset at running ubuntu. I am actually thinking about installing compiz fusion just for some fun. Im hoping to hang around here and learn more about Linux. If it wasnt for the little bit of gaming I do I would run it exclusively.

What graphics card are you running?

The very reason I was unable to install Fedora 12 on my work laptop was because of my graphics card, which is an Intel GMA4500 I believe. It had a common problem with "Plymouth" which Fedora 12 uses during its boot process. I would get the Fedora logo and it would go black, and that was it. Sometimes it would half-way boot and freeze. So between a black screen and it freezing during boot, I was still left with a down system.

If I rebooted about 15 times, maybe twice I'd get it to (somehow) successfully boot. Besides that, I just had a hefty paperweight. I have since stopped using Fedora 12 all together, so I can't comment if any new updates have solved this issue or not.

Like I said, im am temporarily using onboard graphics, which is an ATI hd4200 and I have it set in the BIOS to allocate 512Mb of Ram to it and it is overclocked to 900mhz. It is definately more than enough to run Fedora if it is compatible. I dunno maybe I will just use ubuntu for a while. I actually like Ubuntu so much that I am replacing yellowdog with it on my ps3. Why I would even bother, I dont know. the ps3 truly is worthless as a pc, I guess it is more for "check this out" than anything else.

Like I said, im am temporarily using onboard graphics, which is an ATI hd4200 and I have it set in the BIOS to allocate 512Mb of Ram to it and it is overclocked to 900mhz. It is definately more than enough to run Fedora if it is compatible. I dunno maybe I will just use ubuntu for a while. I actually like Ubuntu so much that I am replacing yellowdog with it on my ps3. Why I would even bother, I dont know. the ps3 truly is worthless as a pc, I guess it is more for "check this out" than anything else.

Just keep in mind, the PS3 runs on a PPC chip and the Ubuntu PPC edition has been community ran and not officially ran for quite some time now. That's why Yellow Dog has always been unofficially branded "The PS3 Linux Distro". This is also why Fedora is popular on the PS3, since it heavily supports PPC chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom