Fedora 1 upgrade !

Status
Not open for further replies.

intercodes

Daemon Poster
Hello ,

I have Fedora core 1 kernel version 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl . Using up2date program I downloaded the latest kernel [2.4.22-1.2199.nptl] and it was installed automatically. when i try to install my nvidia drivers in the new kernel ,its asking for kernel sources [I dont have the new kernel source files ] . But the drivers work great in the old kernel. So can I just remove the new kernel and perform and rpm -Uvh newkernel.rpm and go safe with the drivers?

Sign
- Intercodes

not likely, nvidia's install script builds the drivers specifically for each machine, if the kernel has changed then the nvidia driver will too.

download the kernel source and install it if it isnt on the fedora disk set, and its big, probably 175mb or so.

Secondly, since your a newbie, Id seriously quit worrying about having the latest and greatest installed, and start learning everything you can about linux and how to use your system.Once youve done that, then start working on setting up your system exactly how you'd like it--->custom compiled kernel, a GUI you like,a browsers(s) that you like, etc etc. Not mandatory, but it will save you some headaches later.There;s a bit of a learning curve with linux, helps to get some under your belt before you start screwing with your system.

Thanks Horndude,

Yeah you are rite , about the learning stuff, its really becoming a headache to install these new stuff and go safe with it.

Thanks

Sign
Intercodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom