Fairly new to linux... internet issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamnotapigeon

Solid State Member
Unfortunatley, I do not pay for internet at my house, thus I don't choose what kind of internet we have. Basically... we have 56K dial-up. I have experimented briefly with Fedora Core 2 and would like to try Ubuntu. My modem is an internal Zoom Model 3025 (actually produced by Conexant, I believe). I was wondering if anybody knows where I could find drivers for either of these distrobutions. And better yet... a program that will allow me to connect to AOL (like I said earlier, it's not my choice...). I'm fairly new to Linux and have had some problems, especially with the AOL issue.

the sites ive checked are showing that modem as being supported, depending on which distro you pick that will determine how you set it up unless you do it with commandline

This is good and bad news. We recently got cable internet, but, now I have a whole new problem. I am running Ubuntu Debian, which attempted to set up a network connection by using DHCP. I then got an error message which said:

"Your network is probably not using the DHCP protocol. Alternatively, the DHCP server may be slow or some network hardware is not working properly."

It can see the windows network but cannot connect to the internet. Will I have to configure the connection manually? If so, how should I go about doing this? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Is your router set up to use DHCP? Or should you be using a static IP?

Additionally, can you actually browse your Windows network, or just see it somehow? What do you exactly mean by 'see' it? Becuase if you are connected to the network at a point where you can 'see' it, connecting to the internet through it shoudl work flawlessly (the router does all the configuration work for you anyway).

When I say that the computer can see the network I mean that It recognizes the network as "Windows Network" but cannot browse it.

Once again, I have good news and bad news. I got Ubuntu to download the updates during setup and It configured the network card. But I still cannot access the internet through a web browser. I have no idea what the problem may be. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom