dual-boot partition setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
My setup on my main computer is:

80GB drive: 20 Linux (ext3) , 60 WinXP (NTFS)
120GB drive: 120GB FAT32 (setup before Ubuntu had NTFS support, may switch to NTFS if I can backup all the data to DVD's)

On my Compaq (Sempron):

60GB drive: 20GB Linux (ext3) , 40GB WinXP (NTFS)

On my laptop:

30GB drive: 15GB Linux (ext3) , 15GB WinXP (NTFS)

I am noticing more and more that i can shrink down my Linux partition. there is no way i can see me using 160GB for Linux. I still cant believe that i havent used 4GB yet...

Ahh well at least it will allow for more space for Vista. Which needs it sadly.......

Ok i got a problem. Ubuntu partitioner is not recognizing my raid 0. The two hard drives are separate in the manual partition setup.

I guess this is my problem since it is an onboard raid controller: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

Alright...problem solved...sorry bout posting for no reason. Ill search the ubuntu how to's first if i got another question :p

Well i got another problem that i might not be able to do through ubuntu. Gparted doesn't have ntfs as an option to reformat a partition. Can partition magic reformat the partitions i couldn't reformat during xp install later?

edit: i meant parted magic....not the other one you have to pay for. Anyways, its not going to work either, cause it seems to not have very good support for raid 0 systems. I read somewhere that if i go on and partition the raw partitions to FAT32 in gparted, that i can boot back to XP and tell XP to change the partitions from FAT32 to NTFS....can i do this before i go on and partition these raw partitions to FAT32?

Also, do i need to make any of the partitions for ubuntu primary?

GParted CAN do NTFS... You can make any type of partition with GParted (but you may need a newer version, what Ubuntu are you using?). If you can't get it, you can format NTFS partitions during XP setup or through the command prompt or My Computer (command prompt: "format <drive letter>:", My Computer: right click the drive, select Format, and choose NTFS)

GParted will format to NTFS. Just no when creating a Partition. at least from what i have seen. So what i do is create the partition and leave it unformatted. Then right click on that partition i just created and choose the format option there. It will give you NTFS then. That has to be the only bug i have ever seen with GParted.

Yeah, i just figured out how to format a partition in XP. Im formating the other 2 partitions to ntfs right now. Earlier, I tried to just go on a install ubuntu on the rest of the HDD but i got some weird partition map error. I am waiting for XP to finish reformating those raw partitions, then i will give ubuntu installer another chance. Ill post the error here if i get it again.

Ok im at the partition screen now. I did what that how to for supporting my raid 0 told me to do and this is what i got:

partitions.jpg

Bigger Image: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/darkop16/DSC01363.jpg

Ive got two free spaces...whats up with that? The two at the bottom (sda and sdb) are the actual 250gb HDDs. If i didn't install the dmraid thing like the "how to" said to do then that would be all that shows up. Anyways, what do i do about the two free spaces and what is all the stuff in the middle supposed to be(dev/mapper/sw_ccjdedhaif_dark1 to "..."_dark9)?

edit: Im still trying to figure out what the heck that FakeRaidHowto guide wants me to do. I got lost at the "Mount the Temporary File Structure" about a quarter of the way through it.

Ok i ignored the 2006 MB freed space above the sda and sdb partitions. I splint the 51161 MB into /home, /boot, /, and swap (in that order). After i setup the name of the computer and other stuff, I try to install. I get the following error:

"The ext3 file system creation in partition #7 of LVM
VG isw_ccjdedhaif_dark,LV isw_ccjdedhaif_dark failed"

The "installing system" box stoppes at:
"creating ext3 file system for /home in partition #7 of LVM V..."

Honestly you will probably have to go to the Ubuntu forums to find out how to get Ubuntu to recognize the RAID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom