dual-boot partition setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, but i think im really close. I followed this guide: SATA RAID Howto - Ubuntu India

The only thing is i don't understand how to set the partitions up to /boot, /, /home, swap, etc. through gparted. I can't find an option anywhere to do this. I would have thought gparted was the same thing being used during the manual partition in the installer but its not, or its not set up the same. I did get gparted to make the partitions i wanted though, and i formated them in the terminal using "mkfs.". So ive got the partitions formated correctly and i know their name (ex. /dev/mapper/isw_ccjdedhaif_dark7 is the partition i want the /boot to go to, 8 is what i want / on, 9 is the swap, and 10 is /home).

I tried going through the installation again hoping that the error earlier was because it couldn't format the partitions, since i already did that manually. But it gave me the same error again.

I understand what the the guide wants me to do by mounting the partition i set to be my root and manually install using the terminal, but when i do that:

mkdir /target
mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_gahhaaab1 /target

I get:

only the root can do that

So thats where im stuck as far as that guide goes. I guess i need to figure out how to set the partitions to which mount point i want them to be but i can't seem to find that with google. If you got any suggestions, ill check back here. But i will post a thread in the ubuntu forums like you said.

Try using sudo in front of the mkdir /target and that. Since it says only root can do it sudo gives you root privledges. So that should solve that problem.

Well you would have to. Since you are using Gutsy not Drapper. ;)

Again i couldnt tell you. You would have to go to the Ubuntu Forums and have them help you out. Since it is right on their site and it is their distro they would have more knowledge on this and more feedback than anyone of us here could provide.

lol ok. I did though and havn't heard anything from them yet so i just went on a did it. Im installing ubuntu-desktop right now (taking forever), but the next part kinda confuses me. Its the last line of code under the "Install Base System" part (right before it gets to the "Set up the bootloader for raid" part...about 1/3 the way down the page).

"# duplicate the root line except with your username instead of the word root to give your new user access to sudo
visudo"

Any idea what he wants me to do here?

edit: now its asking me for a password for root on localhost even though i never entered a password. Ive tried typing something into the terminal and hitting enter but it just gives me the same question:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/darkop16/DSC01392.jpg

IT should be root under the LiveCD. About the only thing i can figuer out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom