dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemorris86

Solid State Member
hi, i have sorted my fedora linux out on my new pc, but i want to dual boot with windows xp now. i have the disk but i cant figure out how to run it? im really new to all of this but i was told xp pro will particion my hard drive for me. so if thats tru i just need to figure out how to run the disc at startup.

Yes, XP will partition your drive for you, but since it does not recognize Linux/Unix partitions, it may well screw up your Linux partition. It probably would have been easier to install Win XP first, and then Fedora.

My best advice is to wipe your Fedora partition, install Win XP, and THEN go back and install Fedora again.

It screwed my xp partition I an now just reinstalling my drivers due to the fact i had to reformat. I tried to insall redhat with no os. It would get to the install part something about server x and a blank screen just appears. Nothing happens! AHHHHHHHHHHH

windows always has to be installed first NO MATTER WHAT, it has no provisions for having multiple OS's on one machine, they dont believe that should EVER happen

Ok, I made my boot disk, and then im typing f disk at the prompt when i restart my pc, but then it just says cannot find kernal image.

Mind if I come in this one. I am having difficulties installing rdh 9.0. What is the next thing to do after you shrink the xp partition. I am using Partition Magic 8

The RedHat installer should be able to help you partition your drive. You shouldn't need to use Partition Magic. I don't even think Partition Magic recognizes Linux partitions (at least not the version I have). Can someone back me up on this?

any problems you might have dual booting could possibly be solved by flipping back thru previous posts. dual booting often comes up, in fact, i learnt to dual boot from this very forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom