DownLoad and burn ISO image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel

In Runtime
I have been planning to use a Linux firewall for a long time. Been reading specs and general information about the firewall and Linux. Will the following work..please comment! I plan to use xp-pro to download the Linux ISO image and burn it to CD using Nero 5.5.10.20.
-----------
Credit the following instructions from IPCop user manual.(Their instructions)
If you have a CD burner, use your favorite CD writer package to transfer the ISO image to a CD-ROM. Be aware that the IPCop CD image is a full CD image. In many CD writer software packages, it can be difficult to find the “Burn CD From ISO or Disk Image” option. The option may not be placed under the obvious menu. If you wind up with only one file on the CD, you have not created the CD correctly.
-----------
My questions are;
Can I accomplish the task under XP-Pro of downloading an Linux ISO image???
Will Nero 5.5 let me burn the ISO image to make a bootable CD?? If you have done this please tell me in general what options to use under Nero.
-----------
If I can accomplish this task I plan to operate the Linux software on a 1.6 Gig hard drive to see problems relating to hardware and to understand as much as I can about startup issues. Is there a problem with the 1.6 drive???
Many thanks for any answers.

I have redhat 9 running on a 5 gig partition. Also, if you highlight the ISO image, and then hold shift and right click with your mouse, you can open the iso image with your burning program with the "open with" command and then try to burn it that way. That might work...

hi silence782-I downloaded the iso image of IPCop and using instructions found in linuxiso.org burned the iso into my cd. I have no idea what I am looking at, well to some extent I do but is it valid and a bootable cd for IPCop??? Here are the files on the cd showing as folders under windows.
bin,boot,doc.dosutils,images,copying,ipcop.tgz,modules.tgz and readme.txt....
Anyone, does this sound like a linux bootable cd that will write a linux operating system to a HDD????? Got to know this first. Thanks.

there is an option in nero to burn an image to disk, its got a lovely little cd with a match next to it, however that is with nero 6
i use it to burn lots of workable iso's.

I have been thinking about upgrading to Nero=6 for sometime, maybe thats a good reason to! Thanks for the help. Speaking of burners, they appear to be made for folks doing music CD's. I admit not not understanding all their options but if I want to dump a bunch of files to cd it should be easy and without concern of folder depth. Thanks again.

There's only one way to find out if it is bootable and that's to stick it in the drive and reboot. Most distros come in bootable cd form these days.

Look here for installation instructions.

'IPCop takes over an entire hard drive' it says. so if you are worried about writing over your current one then remove it from the machine before you boot up.

You should have no problems with the 1.6G drive, as long as it's on a standard interface, SCSI or IDE etc.

The site linked above also conatins links to the latest .iso images, and they 'are' bootable.

This is a nice interesting project, have not done this kind of stuff in a very long time so I am enjoying it. I downloaded and burned IPCop version 1.3.0 to CD. Thanks for the HDD suggestion, I connected the 1.6gig drive to the boot IDE cable so MS-XP drive was safe.
First try, loaded cd and booted IPCop 1.3, many messages going by on the screen relative to PCI slots and i/o hardware stuff. I wish they could be saved or printed to review. The process wanted a return from my keyboard but I still had the MS wireless mouse and keyboard installed so I removed them. Installed a keyboard and made another try. This time I got to the point where it was going to format the drive(/dev/hda) and then LILO gave me a message! Your hard disk is to small, it should be at least 125mb+2*ram size. My system has 1gig of ram so the 1.6gig drive is not large enough to load the IPCop system. This is just a learning process and I will wait until a larger drive is purchased. As I said this is a project to learn from and to enjoy, I am in no hurry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom