Done with window, hello Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: muahaha

Lord AnthraX said:
Ok so here is the list of programs I'l be using (or would like to use)

• Itunes
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Steam
  • AIM
  • MSN messenger
  • Xfire
  • Adobe reader
  • Limewire
  • Storm Codecs
  • Alcohol 120%
  • Azures (torrents)
  • Win Rar

1. iTunes is a no-go. Audacious, Rhythmbox, and Amarok are all good alternatives, and the second has pretty good iPod support (with the gnupod libraries.)
Also I have some driver questions.

2. No problem.

3 and 6. You'll have to use Cedega for Steam and XFire as far as I know.

4 and 5. Look into Gaim

7. No problem. The Adobe reader for Linux isn't that great, so I'd consider xpdf, kpdf, or gpdf if I were you.

8. No problem.

9. No idea what that is. Will look into it, however.

10. I recommend using K9Copy and K3B as substitutes.

11. No problem.

12. There are GUI and commandline utils for RAR files.

Also I have some driver questions.

How are drivers with linux?

Hard? Pain in the @ss? smooth?

And of course. Internet.
Wireless linksys internet, I have a feeling this is going to cuase some problems

And all my software for my keyboad and mouse.
Can this work with linux or will I just have to download it off logitech site specified for linux.

Lots of questions, thanks for the help
Love-hate complex with drivers. Some work well, and, some don't. If you know what chipset your WLAN card uses, that could help a lot.

Your mouse and keyboard should work fine out of the box, perhaps with a little limited usability (the extra buttons don't work, or something) but that can be fixed.

I see that Macdude425 already filled you in. All the games you want to play but GRAW will work fine. Apparently GRAW hasn't been tested yet, but given it's advanced use of DirectX and other Windows things such as physics cards I would imagine it would not work in Cedega. :(
http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4270

All the stuff you listed will be no problem, most of which will work out-of-box and come with the software, Rhythmbox, GAIM, etc. What are the full specs of your computer?

Ok thank mac and general.

Thanks for the link jakec, I bookmaked em.

Right now these are the full specs.

AMD Opteron 175
DFI lan Party Ultra-D
2 X 1GB G.SKILL ram
Antect truepower 550
7900 GT
150 WD Raptor.
200 GB WD caviar. ( not working right now....So Ill have to use partion majic)
Lite On dvd rw

Uhh and yeah thats pretty much it.

As for the wireless card, macdude what specifications are you looking for?

Everything you have is fully supported in Linux! All you'll need to do after you install Ubuntu is install an SMP kernel (for both cores to be detected and used) and install the nvidia drivers and you'll be set. Your mouse (if it has a bunch of buttons) may need some work, but I'm fairly certain I can get it figured out for you. What kind of mouse do you have?

Double post:

So I have a couple of questions about instalation.

I should download partion majic and make a partion for linux on my raptor for how big?

Second, I'l be downloading ubuntu and Gnome, wich should I install first, Im guessing Ubuntu.

Im guess Im just asking for the whole run down on instalation:confused:

Install Ubuntu and only Ubuntu. It comes with Gnome out of the box.

I would not download Partition Magic (that's illegal, and buying it is just a waste) so I recommend GParted instead.

Also, about the net card, if you know the model number and possibly even the chipset it uses, that is what we need to know.

macdude425 said:
Install Ubuntu and only Ubuntu. It comes with Gnome out of the box.

I would not download Partition Magic (that's illegal, and buying it is just a waste) so I recommend GParted instead.

Also, about the net card, if you know the model number and possibly even the chipset it uses, that is what we need to know.

Oh I see, my mistake I though partion majic was freeware :eek:

I'l take a look at the net card and post back.

Any program I could download ie. everest Home edition that could help me get the data or do I just have to shutdown my comp and take a look on the back of the PCI card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom