Does anyone here know about Linux games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckaL

Daemon Poster
Yeah, I asked this question in the PC Gaming section, but nobody replied.

Quake III for Windows also runs in Linux WITHOUT any kind of emulator right? Well then what is THIS ?

No, Quake 3 for Linux runs in Linux without any kind of emulator.

It doesn't matter which version you buy, Quake 3 for Linux only needs the data files (pk3's) which are the same throughout Mac, Windows and Linux. I have the Mac version of RTCW and it works in Linux.

That is just a Linux version that comes with the installer on it. You don't need that if you already have the Windows version.

The same thing goes for RTCW, Quake 4, Doom 3, Doom 3 expansion and Quake 2, etc. UT2k4's Windows disc has the Linux installer on it.
So you just sh /path/to/linuxinstaller.bin and a graphical installer will run just as if it were in Windows.

If you need any help I'm all about games in Linux, but I will have to go from memory right now, because I don't have Linux and can't have Linux on my desktop until I can figure out how to use a Gentoo LiveCD and install with debootstrap. :(

It sounds really complicated so it may be a while. :S

Ah, I see.

Gentoo eh? I was thinking about trying to install that on my machine but it might be too hard for me to figure out. Too bad because I saw some SCREENSHOTS of Gentoo and it looks really cool.

Now I'm thinking perhaps I'll just install Ubuntu or Kubuntu and use that untill I learn a bit about Linux, then maybe switch to Gentoo. If only I knew what the difference between Gnome and KDE was. XD

KDE and Gnome are just two different GUIs. They look different, and have different inner workings. Basically just pick the one you like. I like gnome, though most people here like KDE. :mad:

Those screenshots are just flashy eye candy, and everything done there is totally possible on any distro. People who use Gentoo think they are leet and have uber optimized systems, but they are just full of @#$%. Gentoo is a pain in the arse, and its for ricers. :)

"I don't think that Debian can really compete with Gentoo. Sure it might be okay, but when it comes to dependencies, you probably are still going to have to get them all on your own. Or is there something like portage in the Debian world as well?"

Ahhhahahaha I love this site. :D:D:D

Yeah, I've got Ubuntu installed now... I'm reading in other posts in this forum where people are saying that Ubuntu is "evil". Maybe I made the wrong choice. lol

don't let other people influence your choice. linux is linux is linux. they are all the same thing. it's like two identical cars painted a different colors, they look different, but they are the same under the hood.

just use the distro that suits your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom