Which distro are you all using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
I got new laptop (GX620) and installed Mandriva 2009.1 on it.
KDE4 implemented kind of nice there.. But to be honest, I feel a bit restricted.

What do you all use?

Well I use Ubuntu 9.04 (with GNOME). I have tried some others, but until I learn more about Linux, I like how it feels, looks, and works. Veteran Linux users seems to move away from Ubuntu, but I do know of another member here (I forgot who) that uses Ubuntu and happens to be a veteran Linux user, so mileage varies, obviously.

I used it before too, for a long time.

But decided to give Mandriva a try because I heard it have good implementation of KDE4.

But I feel that I was able to do more with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a very well put together OS for sure. It is based on Debian which is a solid, proven OS. The Ubuntu "community" as they call it, is rather large and there is a lot of input in its development.

There has been a lot of emphasis on usability, and many Windows users that actually try Ubuntu's brand of Linux like it because it is one of the easier Linux distros to learn for Windows regulars. So they say, and I am seeing that for myself as well.

I haven't used Mandriva, but I have used Fedora 10 and Puppy ( the latest, not sure of the version #). Still like Ubuntu the best personally speaking.

i rememeber reading that a lot of websevers run BSD because its a well stable system.

ubuntu is a very easy to use distro. i had installed kde on 8 (heron?). although a lot of documentation is for gnome, i think its considered default.

opensuse was ok on usability, but didnt match ubuntu.

right now i'm playing with knoppix 5.1

I started with Ubuntu back in early 2006. Then I floated around to other distros... some that come to mind are:

Fedora Core 8
Fedora Core 9
Mandriva 2008
SuSE 10.2 Server
openSuSE
Kubuntu
Xubuntu
Linux Mint
Puppy Linux
**** Small Linux
Slackware
PCLinuxOS
gOS

I can see how some of these distros are very solid and well put together, but at the end of the day, I gotta use what works and what I like most. That's why I've come back to Ubuntu every single time. That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, it's just my opinion from what I've seen.

The beauty of Linux is the no cost factor in it, unless you venture into paid support versions, etc. That's why it's so great to download an ISO of each one and fire it up to see how you like it. More recently I'll just download an ISO and fire it up in VirtualBox within Ubuntu to check it out.

Several things I've found are:

I'm a Debian guy. Not a big fan of RPM distros.
I definitely prefer Gnome over KDE in every situation I've experienced.
I absolutely hate openSuSE.

Currently running Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit. Happy as ever.

I've went in this order:

RedHat 9
Fedora Core 4
Fedora Core 6
Ubuntu 7
openSuSE 10.3
Gentoo 2008
openSuSE 11.1

Been using openSuSE ever since. It's by far my favourite distro now that 11 is out.

I've tried Red Hat Fedora Core 2 (holy crap this was bad.)
SuSe
I think the last version of Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom