Distro Similar to (K)Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
I've been a fan of Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but my laptop sure isn't. Whenever I try running it, I get a message saying "PCI: Cannot allocate resource region...", and the thing takes about three minutes to finish booting. It's aggravating, but I can't seem to find a fix for it.

So, I would like a distro similar to Ubuntu or Kubuntu that has good wireless card support (for Broadcom) and, if possible, something like Synaptic. I prefer KDE, but Gnome is fine also.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: It's a pretty new laptop - Sempron 3300+, ~1gb RAM, 10gig HDD partition dedicated for install.

Hmm...

I'd first try Debian, as Ubuntu was created from a Debian base, and you'll have the familiar Synaptic, APT, and .deb package system.

If that doesn't work, then Fedora or Red Hat...

But like I said before, I'd just use 7.04 since you said it worked fine. You can get Compiz Fusion running on 7.04 if you try :)

Hmm...

I'd first try Debian, as Ubuntu was created from a Debian base, and you'll have the familiar Synaptic, APT, and .deb package system.

If that doesn't work, then Fedora or Red Hat...

But like I said before, I'd just use 7.04 since you said it worked fine. You can get Compiz Fusion running on 7.04 if you try :)

Alright, I'll try Debian. And getting a Broadcom wireless card is a huge pain in 7.04, so I'd like to try avoiding that.

openSUSE is really good. Only difference is it uses RPM packages and Yast. Yast is like the tool for configuring everything on the OS, but it also takes care of installing packages, much like Synaptic does.

PCLinuxOS 2007, SimplyMEPIS 7.0 (once final release) and opensuse 10.3 are the best and are similar to kubuntu

to be honest i think a new distro isn't what you need, remember linux isn't like windows where features are so stupidly proprietary and integrated that you practically do have to change OS for certain things. to me it sounds like compiling your own kernel (if you feel up to it) would probably be the best option to try and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom