Distro for inept computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
OK. I gave a bootable CD of Knoppix to a guy at work. His computer (133MHz, 16MB ram, 1GB hd) is almost dead. He wants to know if he could install Knoppix instead of Windows 95. I told him no, but he wants something he can use to replace Windows on it.

Any suggestions? I've got an old 1gig HD laying around that I am going to give to him, and another guy at work has a 2gig and a 15"monitor. So, what distro will function on this minor monstrosity?

Just about anything, just need to keep the resource hungry apps off of it.Meaning, dont use GNOME or KDE.No firefox, you can run X but be careful what you run under X.It probably uses SIMMS for ram, those are dirt cheap, up ram to 32 or 64mb and run whatever you want on it just be prepared for it being slow especially with something like GNOME or KDE, rest of window managers are fine.I'd trim off any extra software you wont need too, 1GB isnt much disk space, but you can do linux with X and gcc and most of the libraries and other needed software in under 750mb these days without too much trouble.Trim off even more and you could probably get down to around 400mb or so, 250mb for a text mode only setup.

Having 16mb of ram is tough, X takes like 12mb by itself, it will run in text mode like a champ though.

I would suggest an older version of mandrake linux. I have installed version 7.0 many a time on an old computer. Don't run kde or gnome though (horndude "thanks!"). these environments would be too demanding. I suggest using blackbox, it's very resource friendly!

I agree that 72-pin SIMM RAM is dirt cheap, so if he has enough slots he can load it up. I am posting this on a 133 with 160 MB RAM using GNOME with Galeon. I like all the built in stuff on GNOME like the CD player. Dillo works like a champ, and Galeon is barely acceptable, so I need a browser in between the two. Anyway, I was lucky to have 6 SIMM slots.

I think his box is a Packard Bell, so he probably only has two slots.

I'll see what I can find to download for him.

DSL (damn small linux) would probably work? it's about 50MB, but i don't think it comes with any compilers

I'm downloading DSL right now. He mainly wants something that will let him get online until he is able to get the money to have a system put together.

Thanx, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom