Dell D800 screen settings in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

maslett

Solid State Member
Hi, I just installed Mandrake 9.2 on my Dell D800 and have 2 problems regarding X-windows:

1. I can't find the right monitor/resolution settings to utilise the widescreen. I don't know if I need new drivers or if there is an existing setting I can use.

2.When I exit x-windows my display goes belly up with squiggly lines everywhere and I can't read any text. If I type 'startx' x-windows starts again and I can shut the laptop down from there but it irks me that I can't start and stop x-windows when I want (I'm a bit of a command line affectionado)

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Whats xf86config give you when you go thru it?Do the vid drivers match up?Does it have a monitor setting close to what you have?You may need that from dell, when used with windows its probably got an .ini file , you will need the refresh color and resolution #'s.If youve got the right settings in X then you can rule that out.Dont know where Mandrake puts it but there's an init file prob in /etc somewhere that determines what runlevel the console starts/stops in.....I think, check in /etc/rc.d/? Check lilo config too, it may be setup for an X login, sounds like you want console start up too?

Oh ya, if your in X usually hitting alt-shift-F2 or alt-F2 will get you a console on tty2 and leave X running on other screen, hit alt-F7 to get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom