Debian wont go Online.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I'm running Debian latest release and it will not connect to Google.co.uk. I'm really hoping this isn't an Ethernet Problem with the drivers and I'm also running it on my HP Pro Liant M350 Server G4. I'm getting error messages while trying to connect and I've also tried switching the Ethernet Cables over from one port to another.

Like I say Its had no Updates other than the Original Install CD and its just not connecting.

I really hope its not a Ethernet Driver Problem.

Is every other website working, or is Google.co.uk the only one you've tried?

Its every Web Site Carnage. I have been looking for an Ethernet Driver for the Debian System on a G4 HP Pro Liant but I've only found for G5 hacks and Mods.

It looks like a Ethernet Driver Issue Subliminal like you say I've found a Driver support tool but what use if I can't get online. The G4 ML350 wasn't build for Debian and from what I've read it only looks to be the likes of SUSE, and Microsoft Server Editions.

Its every Web Site Carnage. I have been looking for an Ethernet Driver for the Debian System on a G4 HP Pro Liant but I've only found for G5 hacks and Mods.

It looks like a Ethernet Driver Issue Subliminal like you say I've found a Driver support tool but what use if I can't get online. The G4 ML350 wasn't build for Debian and from what I've read it only looks to be the likes of SUSE, and Microsoft Server Editions.

Yeah, HP site says SUSE and Redhat, but not Debian. I'm sure there has got to be a way. Do you know what model your NIC is? Is it Broadcom?

Is every other website working, or is Google.co.uk the only one you've tried?

Yeah, HP site says SUSE and Redhat, but not Debian. I'm sure there has got to be a way. Do you know what model your NIC is? Is it Broadcom?

I'm really not sure, I looked at that as well. I might have to put something like SUSE on it. I know you can get customized drivers for the likes of Nix* but you can for get that. I found a site that lets you download all the Array Drivers and do a Incorporation of XP and Nix* Drivers for an Array and various other hardware but the acutall page was down.

Can you still get updates for Server 2008 from Microsoft. Might be an Option to buy new and have a Microsoft OS Server on it, If its compleatly retired for 2012 then theirs no Point.

Yeah, I bet you'll have to find a third-party driver for it to work. Maybe if you can find this driver: bnx2x for it.

Also this site:
Debian HCL - HP / Proliant ML350p Gen8

Does not list the ML350 G4, but it does for G3... So I feel like it should, maybe if you go to broadcom site they may have a driver for Debian?

Do you suppose if you were to buy a new NIC card you could get drivers for that card and use it instead of the on-board NIC?

EDIT:
Maybe try copying this code and running this script?

https://github.com/demonccc/lnxDellRepo2deb/blob/master/mod_scripts/dell-ie-nic-broadcom.sh

I'm sorry you are having this issue. It is so hard to find a straight answer online anywhere I am looking

2nd EDIT:
Also try this link:
https://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/firmware-linux-nonfree

This package includes the Broadcom driver you are looking for I believe: Broadcom BCM5705 TSO firmware (tigon/tg3_tso5.bin)

Also from other forum:
"You might need non-free firmware for the broadcom ethernet.

These firmware blobs are available in the firmware-linux-nonfree package

Broadcom BCM5703/BCM5704 TSO firmware (tigon/tg3_tso.bin)
Broadcom BCM5701A0 firmware (tigon/tg3.bin)
Broadcom BCM5705 TSO firmware (tigon/tg3_tso5.bin)
Broadcom BCM57766 firmware (tigon/tg357766.bin)

Atheros wifi chipsets usually don't need any firmware if they're supported by the ath5k or ath9k drivers - so if it's working it's all good.

Devices supported by ath9k_htc and carl9170 drivers require kernel firmware which in debian is provided by the firmware-atheros and firmware-linux-free packages"

Last edited:
Sorry for not replying sooner Subliminal, I haven't bumped the thread. I'll come back to the server when I can be bothered as I'm not fussed at the minute but to be honest I think you could be right with a NIC as the only option as I've read their isn't much option for any other Nix* OS.

Sorry for not replying sooner Subliminal, I haven't bumped the thread. I'll come back to the server when I can be bothered as I'm not fussed at the minute but to be honest I think you could be right with a NIC as the only option as I've read their isn't much option for any other Nix* OS.

Yeah, I think it is dumb that the G3 successfully goes on but the G4 has issues..

Back
Top Bottom