Debian Squeeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatron

Destroyer of headlines
So I am new to Debian. After a lifetime with Windows I have finally found that I must move on and figured open source is the way to go. It may have taken me far to long to realize the downside of using such software as Windows, but it finally happened. I know I will have to keep Windows installed for those times when I must use the software that I know that I cant seem to find a replacement for in Debian, at least at this time. Being newer to the open source scene I have yet to find everything I need to replace the software I have used daily for so long.

My main problem, finding the codec needed to play my MP3 and other music files! I have to test somethings out with that as of yet. It is still scanning my library as I type this so I don't know for sure if it will play my song files or not. Still trying to get Evolution to retrieve my mail. For some reason it just never gets it! UGH. Doesn't matter if I set it up for IMAP or POP the thing will just not connect to my mail accounts when I know the passwords are correct.

But then again, it has only been a few hours. I know I still have to give it more time and basically read the book that is the documentation on Debian. Something that I am not looking forward to. After I finally get all that done, I have to setup my Samba to share my Music drive with the spouse.

So for now I am kinda enjoying my freedom from the Windows World. It will take some getting used to and a lot more reading than I have time for. But I need to make the switch now before I am totally drawn into the Dark Side. Right now there is still hope for this Jedi...

Welcome to the Linux world, man! While I am still wearing my Windows life jacket and taking a dip into the Linux pool, it is good to know. In case Win 8 is as it seems, a failure.

For an OS, I would not start with Debian out of the box. I would start with something much more basic, as Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora.

SongBird should be able to play all your mp3 and whatnot music files.

For video, there's always VLC.

Samba is about the easiest thing to set up in Linux to share drives across Windows networks.

Hope you have fun with it! A headache is never the answer. Any questions, any at all, post 'em! :)

Edit: I find this to be a helpful place while looking for similar programs to your normal Window ones. New And Popular Linux Software - AlternativeTo.net

The reason I went with Debian instead of something like Ubuntu, I do not like Unity. I tried it but it was just not for me. I prefer the untouched look of Gnome over Unity any day. Since Ubuntu is based off of Debian, there really isn't that much difference in how they operate. It is manly a look thing over an operational aspect that we are talking about with the differences.

Now I know that given enough time I could have learned to work with Unity. But for what I want to do, it just won't work. I will get to frustrated with the interface and end up back in Windows without ever really giving it a try.

I looked at Mint, it was far to much like Windows for me. I want a change from that world, not to just replace it with a look a like.

As far as my media goes, RhythmBox is working just fine on my music collection. The installation of the additional non-free codec worked like a charm. I have yet to find a file it will not play. So that aspect is taken care of. Videos are played thru VLC already so I wasnt worried about that aspect. ;)

The biggest concern is the email aspect. I will have to just wait and see what I can figure out with more time and reading. It could just be that I am not popular today and got no emails. :lol:

Ever try Gnome 3.0? I agree, Unity is a little flawed. Fedora 16 has the Gnome latest GUI. It's a lot better than Unity, IMO.

RhythmBox is another good one.

Have you ever tried Thunderbird? I found that to be rather simple. Though I haven't used it in a few years.

I have not tried Gnome 3 yet. This build only have version 2.3 installed with it. Have to see if I can update Gnome on it or not.

I figured out why I am not getting my email. My network is not connected. Which is really strange that I can surf the web with no issues, but I can't connect to my home network?!?

Every time I fire up Evolution it shows as offline, hence why I can't get my email. That will be for another day. Time to check on the Gnome thing and then bed. Only a few hours till work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom