dd backup fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
a dd backup is failing due to read write error. is there anything I can do to diagnose?

it should copy 3gb

Code:
sh-3.1# dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -c | split -b 2000m - /mnt/share/Data.dd.
dd: reading `/dev/hda1': Input/output error
1837792+0 records in
1837792+0 records out
940949504 bytes (941 MB) copied, 576.656 seconds, 1.6 MB/s
sh-3.1# dd if=/dev/hda | gzip -c | split -b 2000m - /mnt/share/Data.dd.
dd: reading `/dev/hda': Input/output error
1837792+0 records in
1837792+0 records out
940949504 bytes (941 MB) copied, 614.545 seconds, 1.5 MB/s

os installed on the machine is win 2k pro.

i'm running knoppix 5.1 when executing the commands above.

The overall goal is to create a image of the machine and save it to a windows share which is located in mount share.

i'm faily certain /dev/hda is there because it starts copying data from the disk; noted by bytes copied in the output

i think i'll try running chkdsk to hunt for disk problems.

Run chkdsk and see what it does. fsck from within knoppix on the same drive wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I don't have much experience with DD from command line, but did you ever consider Clonezilla LiveCD?

chkdsk didn't report any problems.

ill try fsck sometime soon.

are there any logs of what happens on the disk. something like dmesg, but i think dmesg is just for boot output.

i could try clonezilla, can it save to a windows share?

chkdsk didn't report any problems.

ill try fsck sometime soon.

are there any logs of what happens on the disk. something like dmesg, but i think dmesg is just for boot output.

i could try clonezilla, can it save to a windows share?

I'm not positive about that. I've always used it locally to an external hard drive. I do remember when you hit the screen to select where the image gets saved there are a few options. I remember seeing Samba Server, SSH Server, and 2 or 3 others. I always just chose the default (local drive) and shot the image over to that. It's worth a shot to check out though, after all it's a free ISO and 1 blank CD. :p Maybe you'll catch some luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom