Couple questions about FC3...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent40

Baseband Member
I have pretty much no expierence with linux but am eager to learn. I successfully got WinXP and FC3 installed on 2 separate HDDs and both booting very well. My problem is that I am on a wireless network and I have no idea how to set-up the wireless network in FC3. I searched the internet and found I file that I can't seem to download from Fedora's website (maybe due to overloaded servers?). Anyone got any help?

Agent,

Did you check the 'network configuration utilitly' ,it shld be available in the 'start' [main] menu. There is an option to configure wireless devices..check around.

If you dont find that in the 'start' menu, use the 'run' command and type 'neat' in it. A network configuration dialog box should open.Check wireless devices in it.

sign
Codes:)

Wireless networking isn't easy in Linux unfortunately. I've been trying to do this, and I managed it without the encryption, but I can't set an encryption key or anything. I know it's possible, but I also am very new to Linux and have found it very difficult.

The way I did it was, I went to http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ and downloaded Ndiswrapper. This program uses your Windows XP drivers to make the card work in Linux. You also need to have Wirelsss Tools installed, this may already be on the system. If not, the package is available for download somewhere.

It will not be easy to set up, I have not yet properly set it up, but the best thing you can do for the moment is to read the beginners tutorialson www.linux.org. This helped me rather a lot.

You can also go to www.linuxquestions.org and read the forums there. There is a forum specifically for wireless networking, which is very useful.

Good luck anyway.

man iwconfig
man ifconfig

all you should need :) It aint that hard if you take the time to READ and your card is supported. WEP encryption etc. is no problem at all, you just have to configure it of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom