A couple questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKings_Fan

Solid State Member
Hello everybody. I just got done building my first computer. I have been using windows for a couple weeks now, but would love to get into Ubuntu and anything Linux. I have zero experience in the subject. I did get some advice on the subject from a very helpful kSod on a different thread. Just thought I would post this in the correct forum. Pretty much I am looking for any books, blogs/forums (other than this site), and tips. Since anything to do with Linux is super customizable and has thousands of different ways of doing things I am looking for some tips from experienced users. Anything from installation to security. Anything helps.
I just wish there was a book I could purchase. I don't care about the price.

Also a more specific question. I currently have a 500GB hard drive with windows 7 on it. Other than that its pretty much empty. I have a decent machine, spent about $1,200 on it. So should I just use the live dvd, install ubuntu along side windows, or purchase another hard drive to put unbuntu on. Thanks in advance for any answers.

In my experience, no book is needed. There are several guides online how to do just about anything. I have 3 books on Ubuntu. I barely read each of them. Just looked in the index, found what I needed, back on the shelf. About the best site to learn on is Ubuntuforums.org. For Ubuntu specifics.

The best way to learn, is try. Start with the simple edits, and then go into the more advanced, and learn terminal.

I'm sure Jayce can elaborate on this. ;)

Just create a separate partition, and load Ubuntu onto it. That way, if you ever want to get rid of Ubuntu, you have lost nothing.

You can install Ubuntu right alongside of Windows; that way, if you need to go back to it, you can just restart your computer and pick Windows from the boot menu. Just partition the hard drive, and pick to install onto that drive. It will auto-create a boot selection for you and you'll be up and running in no time.

The Ubuntu forums are a great resource for questions/answers; as well as just googling what you're trying to do (e.g., "how to install flash on ubuntu"). There's a lot of resources out there for Ubuntu.

Update. I downloaded and burned the Ubuntu OS onto a CD. I changed the boot order to CD/ROM. It boots the CD. Takes me to screen where it gives me an option of Installing Ubuntu, using it off the disk, check the disk for flaws etc. Well whenever I hit enter on any of these it freezes up for a second and then the screen goes blank and the disk starts spinning very fast.

Also I downloaded the 64-bit version, I am wondering If I should have downloaded the 32-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom