Considering trying Linux....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
I've been wanting to try Linux for a long time now, but I have a few questions:

1) is it possible to have Windows XP Home and [insert appropriate Linux distribution here] dual boot from the same harddrive, or will I need to get a separate harddrive for it? I know XP uses NTFS file system as default, will this interfere with Linux?

EDIT: I assume it would be okay to install Linux on a second partition?

2) are there any serious risks or problems from trying to dual boot Windows XP Home and Linux? (like will I still be able to use my WinXP problem free if I don't like using Linux?)

3) any recommended distribution(s) that would be best for a newbie user? How about one of those window manager thingies, or GUI or whatever?

I'm fairly familar with non-GUI/command prompt navigation (like DOS), so getting used to Linux commands shouldn't be a problem. And yes, I know that "in Linux, everything is a file" which shouldn't be a problem for me to grasp, either, once I see it in action.

All replies and suggestions welcome, or please point me to a thread, site, whatever, that can help.

Also, I'm curious. Is it pronounced "ly-nuhks" or "lih-nihks"?

lol alright I'll check out Debian once I free up some harddrive space. I've got 3GB free... on a 40GB drive lol

If you just want to try Linux, use a live CD version, like I do. I use Knoppix, which, I believe, is a form of Debian that runs from a CD and doesn't alter the HDD.

Oooh, I like that idea even more! I'll try Knoppix, and if I like it, I'll put a more permanent Debian on my HDD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom