connecting 2 computers screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liam

Baseband Member
I have two computers one with windows vista and the other with with windows and linux. I remember a while back i saw a program that would allow you to move your mouse seamlessly from one computer to the other. I have searched for hours but to no avail. I f anyone has heard of such a program I would love to know. It was a while ago so I may be completely mistaken to what the program did so if you dont think this is possible also let me know.

A kvm switch would do what you need. I have never heard of software that would do this since it is two different computers.

A KVM hardware solution is best but Synergy will work as long as you do not need to enter BIOS etc as it will only work once the OS is running.

KVM switches is the only way I have ever seen it done, and the only way I can think of how it would be done.. find them fairly cheap on ebay too

I have a KVM switch now. I think Synergy is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

I think what you were thinking about moving ur mouse seamlessly with a program across computer, was actually across monitors, not computers, but you do not need a program for that. Never heard of a program being able to do that across computers.

I think what you were thinking about moving ur mouse seamlessly with a program across computer, was actually across monitors, not computers, but you do not need a program for that. Never heard of a program being able to do that across computers.

Same here.

I would be very interested in how that would work across two computers.

From the synergy website:
"Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).

Redirecting the mouse and keyboard is as simple as moving the mouse off the edge of your screen. Synergy also merges the clipboards of all the systems into one, allowing cut-and-paste between systems. Furthermore, it synchronizes screen savers so they all start and stop together and, if screen locking is enabled, only one screen requires a password to unlock them all."

The computers must be connected over a network to work. Now I just have to figure out how to set it up. Has anyone used this before?

Just set it up, really quite easy. On the PC that you want to share the mouse/keyboard with you make it the server, and in the config you enter the names of BOTH PC's. Then on the other PC, just put the name of the serving PC. You also have to configure actions (like what edge of the screen on which pc makes the switch). Works pretty smoothly though since it's an emulated mouse certain programs won't like it and act funny (mainly things with 3d viewports and such).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom