connect to Internet with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf145

Solid State Member
Hello there,

I am new to Linux. I recently installed mandrake linux 7.2. I have no idea how to configure it so I can connect to the internet. I can find the place where I can chose the network driver. But thats as far as I know what to do and I cannot connect.

My home network is behind a netgear router. There are other computer with xp running on the lan. All I want to do is get my linux box to connect to it. The linux box dual boots to windows xp and it connects fine so its not the netword card. I can't seem to find any documentation on setting up the configuration in linux. please help me.
any helps or links to help me would be greatly appreciated.

does your router use dhcp?If not as root from a terminal type:
lsmod ----->will list kernel modules loaded, see if your cards driver is loaded
if not, type modprobe <driver name> , the driver names are usually abreviated, example a 3com509 would be 3c509
then type: ifconfig eth0 -net <your static net address>
then type: route add -net <subnet address> dev eth0
then type: route add default gw <router address> eth0

Thank you for the help. How can I find out the name of my driver. That may be a dumb question but I do not know. I have no idea what dhcp is. What does it stand for? Thanks alot for your help.

dhcp is dynamic hosting computer protocol----->router assigns an IP to each computer instead of a static IP address set by the user

what kind of network card do you have?

also, you will probably have to add the DNS address or addresses to your /etc/resolv.conf file for the ISP your using

Update

I gave up for a while since I could not get it working.

However I found out the router uses dhcp. So I guess what you told me may not work. Does anyone know how to set up my connection if my schools router used dhcp? Or could anyone point me in the right direction?

Also I think my network card is "Intel 10/100 Integrated NIC network card" What would the driver name be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I think Mandrake 7.2 is quite old. If you go for a newer version it might have more drivers and stuff included.

Yes. Try a newer version. usually linux will work with a cat-5 without any tinkering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom