Computer not meant for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

f_lightning2001

Baseband Member
I'm having a hard time getting anything other than Kubuntu 6.06 to install onto my machine. It is a home built comp with a p4 3.4ghz, 2gb ram. My motherboard is an MCI. All of the new Ubuntu's give me a scrambled screen, and all the rest just fail to install. It seems like it's one error message after another. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need anymore info on the comp let me know.

So you can get kubuntu 6.06 installed but anything newer causes the screen to appear corrupt, other distros do not install at all and you get error messages while trying to install them? If that is the case then what GPU do you have and could you tell us what error you are getting on what distro. Also have you tried doing a non-graphical install?

To get all the error codes I would need to try and reinstall the distros. I will if need be but I'd kind of rather not. I don't have a spare machine to post with if something goes wrong. I've tried the graphical install with the live cd and another way but I can't remember what it was called. As far a the GPU it is VIA P4M900M2 Chrome 9. If that doesn't seem right let me know. Thanks.

Compiz is the visualisation manager it's like aero for windows but with more features added which serve no real purpose.

I don't know a way to install without it but one of the linux gurus will probably catch this thread and tell you or post on the official ubuntu forums. Try maryan linux:
Home -

It definately doesn't use compiz as its an Enlightenment 17 based distro. Bit harder to throw yourself into as beginner then ubuntu but a very good distro non the less and as it ishas the same base as ubuntu so should shed light on what the incompatibility is whether its something in the core architecture or an addon ubuntu have thrown in.

Okay so I tried the maryan linux and it did the same thing that all the other ubuntu's did. The spot that is supposed to be on the left and right of the screen is in the middle and it's split in half. Along with being blurry and scrambled up. I forgot to mention that the only other distro I was able to put on here was suse11. However after 3 or 4 days it acted like it was never there and went to reinstall itself. The disc wasn't even in there. Someone please help. If anything else could someone please tell me how to get flash working and how to properly install programs in Kubuntu 6.06? Thank you.

MSI MS-7255 mainboard
P4 3.46GHz processor
2gb Kingstom DDRII
120GB EIDE HDD
VIA P4M900M2 chipset
Chrome 9 on board graphics

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom