compiz fusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollithemagicbum

In Runtime
what exactly is this? is it like a different kind of OS or does it work with windows? i wanted to get it, but i just wanna make sure it what it is exactly.

Compiz Fusion is a compositing window manager. It deals with the way your desktop environment (kde, gnome, etc.) It's the result of compiz and beryl merging.

An example of what a window manager is, Ubuntu uses gnome as the desktop environment and metacity as the window manager. Installing compiz fusion will cause ubuntu to use compiz fusion to handle everything that has to do with windows and workspaces, but gnome stays the same.

here's a video that demonstrates some of the things compiz fusion has. YouTube - Compiz Fusion Development

NO Compiz fusion is not for windows. Here's why: windows uses its own desktop environment and window manager type of thing all in one. I have seen some cheep n00b's attempts to copy compiz fusion, but if you have a video playing or something all it will do is take a screenshot of your current workspace and paste it on four sides of the cube.

All you have to do is download Ubuntu 7.10 livecd and then burn it to cd. It should have effects somewhat enabled, but you can easily enable all of them, like the cube and all those.

Compiz Fusion is a compositing window manager. It uses OpenGL hardware accelerated 3d graphics to provide awesome eye candy effects. It needs decent graphics hardware, though, so older or lower end computers may not be able to handle it. Effects include desktop cube, window effects, and transparency.

First, make sure your graphics card's drivers are installed:

nVidia cards - "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx"
ATi Radeon X1K/RadeonHD - "sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx", "sudo aticonfig --initial"
ATi Radeon pre-X1K - "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" then edit the driver line to "radeon"
ATi Rage cards - "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" then edit the driver line to "r128" but Rage cards are too old for Compiz Fusion
Intel i810-based cards - "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" then edit the driver line to "i810"

Alternatively, you can use the Restricted Drivers Manager to automatically install the drivers for your video card. If 3D screensavers, games, etc work fine already, then your graphics drivers are probably already installed, and you don't need to reinstall them.

Then, you'll be happy to know that Compiz Fusion is already installed. Right click, do Change Desktop Background, click Effects tab, then enable. Installing the packages "compiz-fusion-plugins-extra", "compiz-fusion-plugins-main", "compiz-gnome", "compiz-plugins", "emerald", and "gnome-compiz-manager" will give you a GUI menu to configure Compiz as well as some extra effects plugins.

Here's what Compiz Fusion can do using these extra plugins. The PC is my Compaq (see my sig) with an nVidia GeForce4 MX420 (a pretty old card), yet it does all of this: YouTube - PC Stuff: Compiz Fusion effects on Ubuntu Linux

Hope you enjoy Compiz Fusion, it's a great window management system.

I really appreciate the help CalcProgrammer1 I am a new user to Ubuntu and im already loving this the community is great the people are nice and its easy to figure out and understand how it all works.

what exactly is this? is it like a different kind of OS or does it work with windows? i wanted to get it, but i just wanna make sure it what it is exactly.
Is it not for Windows. It is only for Linux.
I really appreciate the help CalcProgrammer1 I am a new user to Ubuntu and im already loving this the community is great the people are nice and its easy to figure out and understand how it all works.
In your other thread about the Ubuntu Gutsy Wiki has the stuff right in there. ;)

Makaveli213 said:
In your other thread about the Ubuntu Gutsy Wiki has the stuff right in there.

That's one way to get information, but I prefer just explaining things in the forum. I actually think it's easier than searching around for information :) But yes, the Ubuntu Guide wiki, Ubuntu Forums, and other Ubuntu sites are quite helpful when you're just starting out (I used Ubuntu Guide a lot back in the 6.06 days).

Well the Wiki gives almost all the info he has asked for. It is cause of that Wiki that i, myself have not had to ask many of these questions.

Personally i think the Wiki would be the way to go. Instant answers instead of waiting for a response on a forum. Who knows when you will get a response. ;)

Plus you have to read teh response anyways right? so why not read the Wiki thru as well? Just my line of thought there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom