Command Line in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma

Baseband Member
I don't know about you, but I just love the Command Line in Linux. In my opinion, it is much better and much more fun then GUI. Of course, it takes a little while to adjust, but once you get it, its cool. I am fairly new to Linux, but you can spend days just to find and try all the possible and impossible combinations of commands and switches. Just love it.

Ma

Glad to hear you like it. Many times people new to Linux don't the command line, but using it is important if you are going to be using Linux at all.

Once you get that down you should look into doing some basic BASH scripting to automate tasks

I've got a few servers running at home that, when I set them up, were all connected to a KVM switch.

Now, I access each of them using SSH. MUCH MUCH easier and faster. I can run updates in a minute rather than needing to log onto each PC and W A I T while everything loads.

CLI will nearly always be more powerful to those who know how to use it. (Nearly always)

I like the idea of a command line, but I have not yet mastered it. I really did like the way that DOS worked, but as with anything, it takes some time to getting used to.

As a linux noob, it is tough getting used to the commands.

I can attest to it being tough to get used to them. It's taken me about 2 years to really get comfortable on the command line again. (I used to be a "master" of DOS many years ago) But it is certainly worth it to keep banging away.

Especially if you get into any sort of shell scripting which can be very powerful.

shell scripting is something id definately like to learn. I'm reasonably ok with the command line now.

Dos used to be my thing. I remember those days well, and linux is not too dis-similar on a large number of things

The thing that you guys keep calling "command line" is actually "shell". I LOVE it, it doesn't need a lot of ram. Doesn't slow down servers. and best of all, if you know the command line, you can actually understand what the gui is doing. and that's not all, but if you know the commands, then you can actually use linux for it's original purpose. Of course it is difficult to start, but once you get use to it, you will never want gui.

I would like to know were to learn all this command and how to use the konsole?

Can some one help me with this please?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom