Changing Monitor Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC-Reefer

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I recently (as in yesterday) installed Ubuntu onto my computer and was playing around with it a bit. However, I'm curious if I can increase my resolution past 1280 by xxxx?

Thanks!

Yup, I'm currently running 1680x1050. I suppose it has to do with the OS having difficulties with my video card?

Try editing xorg.conf (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf). Somewhere near the bottom is a section called "Screen" and should have a line of "Modes". Put your resolution on the end of that list and save, then restart X (press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE) then log back in.

I don't know why it's not detecting your monitor, probably cause it has an odd resolution. It works with my 1280x1024 CRT's and my 1600x1200 laptop just fine.

Try editing xorg.conf (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf). Somewhere near the bottom is a section called "Screen" and should have a line of "Modes". Put your resolution on the end of that list and save, then restart X (press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE) then log back in.

I don't know why it's not detecting your monitor, probably cause it has an odd resolution. It works with my 1280x1024 CRT's and my 1600x1200 laptop just fine.

sry probably gonna sound really dumb but, where do I go in order to edit the xorg.conf file?

You will want to be in the terminal to type in that command. (sudo...)

Menu > Accessories > Terminal

Go root
Code:
sudo su
change to the X11 directory
Code:
cd /etc/X11/
copy the file to create a backup
Code:
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup
open the file in gedit
Code:
gedit xorg.conf

Might as well learn some commands while you're at it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom